Teaching Microcomputer Interfaces: List/Compendium of I/O Designs?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for websites or books with a number of examples of I/O interfaces for use with typical microcomputer digital I/O pins. (Searched for things I saw a few years ago, without results...??)

I'd like good examples of stuff like various High-Side and Low-Side switches, input conditioning, sensor interfaces, up thru external I/O chips like LED/relay drivers etc. And anything you think would be cool and show a learner some principle that should be remembered.

I've designed many of these interfaces, and taught some of this stuff before, but I bet other people have really good ideas out there that I haven't thought of. And I'm (more than?) a little dated in the most recent add-on I/O chips with good drive capabilities.

Please point me to examples you think would be good. Eventually I'll collect what I can and try to make it available..

I'm using typical Atmel and PIC micros, probably mostly Arduino

I'm also collaborating with teachers using PASCO

laboratory sensors if anyone has info on interfacing to some of them...

Oh, and Analog stuff would be good too... (Don't want Bob Pease to hit me up alongside the head) :-)

Thanks for listening...

Regards, Terry King ..On the Red Sea at KAUST ...sometimes In The Woods In Vermont snipped-for-privacy@terryking.us

Reply to
TerryKing

Sounds like a really nice idea.

One thing you might want to consider in this is the use of PLDs to interface to devfices. If I have various memory mapped devices to interface to this generally require some decoding, and also sometimes some custom interface logic to generate strobes and clocks etc. So I tend with those projects to use a PLD with a byte wide register interface to the micro. I do things like put the I/O registers in a separate address region so that I can define the wait states used independently from things like SRAM.

The beauty of PLDs comes when fixing problems - for example if you find an input has noise you can apply a digital filter inside the PLD itself. In one case I interfaced a graphics LCD that had a WAIT# signal to an AVR that doesn't have this, and implemented a simple write posting state machine inside the PLD. All the micro does is write then immediately poll the same address, the PLD muxed the WAIT# signal onto the lower data bit, this meant the micro could burst data at high speed to the LCD within a tight loop without changing memory spaces in between. PLDs are also great for partitioning the logic into 5V tolerant and 3.3V logic (assuming you chose a PLD with 5V tolerant I/O), and can eliminate interface buffers.

Mark.

Reply to
markp

Not sure what you're asking, but pinouts.ru has a lot of info on actual pinouts of common interfaces.

Reply to
mike

My favorite is Mikroelectronica at

They publish their schematics on the website. Nice products, competively price and full disclosure.

I use their EP5 board (EP6 is on the wish list!) and Pascal compiler. Good company sponsored forum too!

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

Perhaps the PICAXE.co.uk website has some of what you want - simple interfacing of bits and pieces. It's not all neatly together and may be too simplified for what your after, but I leave that to you. (you may have to download the programmer software to get hold of the documentation)

Reply to
David Eather

Thanks for the suggestions; I'm digging into them now.... Regards, Terry King

Reply to
TerryKing