strange timer fault

Hi all, wonder if anyone can suggest what is going on here.

I have a couple of electronic time switches, nice range of settings they have too :-) They use an internal battery to keep time when the mains fails.

Funny thing happened; within a month of each other (at about guarantee ending time), they started losing time very badly - almost an hour a day eventually. Unplugged them both, left them to one side, set the time correctly to have a look just how bad the drift was, where I could see them properly. Funny thing happened, they both started keeping good time again!

Looking inside, the clock board has 3 ceramic caps, a crystal and chip epoxy bonded to the board. Small rechargeable battery feeds into it. I think either the ceramic caps are rated a bit too close to the battery voltage and leaking a bit when at charging voltage, but okay on battery only.. or something odd is happening with the battery or it's charging circuit. Not done any tests yet (not that important to fix). Guessing the former, I could just connect a resistor in the clock supply to take the voltage down a bit, but any suggestions as to what might be the cause of the fault - probably too subtle for me!

Monster

--
I am the sexiest man in the UuuuKaaaayy
All the girls love me

http://www.the-monstruum.co.uk
Reply to
Little Monster

I think you are making this waaaay to hard. Unsolder and replace the battery cell (making certain you have correctly identified the cell). Close and use. Rationale: The cell is going to fail years before the capacitors.

webpa

Reply to
WEBPA

Model numbers? Manufacturers? Those would be helpful.

Cheers!

Sir Charles W. Shults III

Reply to
Sir Charles W. Shults III

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 02:12:13 +0000, the world was enlightented by Sir Charles W. Shults III, unto whom the words are attributed:

Beg your pardon Sir, I thought these things were pretty generic...

Micromark model MM9539, 230V 50Hz 13A, both have batch number 193370/0122

Thanks for the response :-)

Monster