Does anyone know of a source for replacement knobs for older Tektronix scopes?
I've got an old Tektronix 2235 scope that has several of the cheap plastic knobs broken. They were not mistreated, they just cracked and fell apart. Scope works fine, but setting the vertical deflection and sweep rate can be real pain.
James T. White
Have you considered getting them from Tektronix? They do have an online parts ordering service and very well might have what you want. My experience in the military and broadcast engineering was that they seemed to keep parts around for some even their earliest equipment.
QUESTION NO. P1115-4: I am looking for a supplier of hardware for Tektronix 2235 scope. The hardware I am particularly seeking are the knobs for the vertical volts/div controls with the clear etched plastic attached with the graduations of 1-2-5 etc. As a practical matter, broken oscilloscopes are sold fairly often on Ebay for their parts, and this may be the easiest/cheapest means of obtaining the parts you require. For the parts you want, other members of the Tek 2200 series (2213, 2215, etc) may be similar enough to a 2235, and may be more available, or cheaper at auction. Parts for older Tektronix scopes can be had from Dean Kidd (503)
625-7363 in Sherwood Oregon. An EX-Tektronix employee, he keeps a large stock of obsolete parts. Prices not too bad.
Over the years I've bought a load from eBay to do up various Tek 'scopes (2465,2430A,7904A etc.) and TMS 500x series stuff....
The knobs crop up fairly frequently, and even if they're not the right knobs, once you have located someone with a stash of Tek bits, just email them your requirements and they tend to be very helpful.
I'm not familiar with this specific scope, but if you're talking about the simple aluminum-cored grey knobs similar to those on the 4XX series scopes, they're pretty easy to repair with plain old acetone.
Obviously you've got to have all the parts. I just swab acetone onto the cracked surfaces with a q-tip, as well as on the entire interior surface that comes into contact with the knurled aluminum "core." Then I put them back together and clamp them. Once they "dry," I brush them up with another acetone-dipped q-tip. You can do a surprisingly good job this way - they often come out looking almost like new.