Silly sound effects - simply...

I'm having to build a quick "jeopardy" style fastest-finger-first system, which I have done with a few d-type flip-flops & diodes.

As this is for a charity evening (we fund a school in sri lanka), I thought I'd make it fun by having stupid noises when one of the buttons is pressed - e.g. breaking glass, foghorn, bicycle bell etc.

But... I only have a couple of days left, so I was wondering if there was a commodity chip (or even some example PIC & ROM code) for this anywhere? I can find boring single noise chips, but I wanted something a bit more fun...

Given time, I would probably have used a small PIC to randomly select a noise from biggish prom, but even finding, recording and testing such a system would take more time than I have left...

Ideas (very very quick & simple please) welcome!

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Deblis

How about buying a number of those super-cheap voice recorder key/pens/gizmos. Just wire to their respective play button contacts and mix spur lines into an amp. Quick and easy to record to, even "on location". I've seen them for a few pounds/dollars each.

PIC + DAC + flash interface (compact flash card etc) would be a better solution. Write a little PC app to write wav files to the flash for each sound. But given your timescales....

Idea 2: buy a toy or doorbell that plays one of N sounds. Hack the sound selection. Limited choice of sounds but all-in-one and recording required.

Idea 3: use a PC as the controller. Buttons in on LPT1. Simple program to scan inputs and play one of N wav files. PC is ridiculously big and expensive to dedicate to this but if you have one that can be borrowed it makes sense.

Graham

Reply to
GrahamH

mix

These gizmos use ISD family of ICs. They can be purchased from Digikey. Just search on ISD... They are pretty simple to use, but I am not sure you can do it in 2 days... Digikey might have some eval board however, which could save you time.... Radio Shack might have these chips as well...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Got to local boat shop and get some air horns and a ships bell.

Go to locak joke shop and get silly noise maker/woopiee cusion.

Reply to
CWatters

Find someone with any of the various electronic keyboards, such as Yamaha or Casio; many of these (and pretty much any above the very low end) will include a wide range of sound effects in their "voices" selections. Either borrow the keyboard or tape what you want.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers