Rotary AC generator

I am looking for information about suppliers of rotary AC generators (not complete gas engine/ AC genrators). Capacity roughly 1 KW or so.

What I want is to run an electric motor/generator with a fly-wheel to supply a couple of minutes of electrical power when the AC power fails.

I couldn't make any reasonable hits on Google.

Thanks for any info.

Jack

Reply to
J. Yazel

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushin

You will need a very large flywheel, do the math first then you will forget it and try a battery powered sytem instead.

Reply to
CBarn24050

to supply a couple of minutes of electrical power when the AC power fails.

Turn-key systems are available (no need to DIY):

JeffM

if your trying to keep sensitive equipment running then connect that equippent to a UPS ( uninterrupted power source). these have batteries which very on time you have after main power drops out but keeps from a lost of power during unexpected power dips or short losses. P.S. these units have betteries to roll in when the power drops out from your main line.

J. Yazel wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

It's much easier to use a battery charger, 12V car battery and a Mains Inverter. Run your equipment from the mains inverter all the time and you don't need any switching circuits.

Reply to
CWatters

===============================

Thanks for all of the responses.

I'll check into the pointers.

Jack

Reply to
J. Yazel

We had a motor-generator or MG on our old mainframe computer. It could supply AC for only a few saeconds of power interruption. To get a few minutes, you would need a HUGE flywheel.

Just buy a decent UPS.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

That's odd. I submitted this message over a month ago and received various responses the next day.

Your newsgroup supplier must be very slow!

Jack

Reply to
J. Yazel

I seriously doubt if his newsgroup supplier is slow, so much as the probability that your post was simply ignored by the more informed readers for some time.

Your post was, in fact, rather naive and dumb. You evidently did no research into the subject prior to posting. Then you complained abut a poster who provided you with factual information! It's responses like your's that discourage professional having the knowledge that you seek from posting responses.

Any number of people who read this newsgroup could have told you that the notion of running your generator for a minite or two on flywheel power is ridiculous. Many others could have told you that IBM manufactured such a system to stabilize the power fed to its computers during the 1950s and 1960s, but that in spite of its large dog-house size, its large flywheel energy storage mechanism was capable of stabilizing power for only tens of milliseconds -- a few missing power cycles.

'Nuff said, except that it wann't wise for you to criticize the one guy that gave you credible fact!

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

Dark

No, it was there not long after it was posted. I guess I'm the slow one. ;-) It popped up, and I answered it.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Thanks for the response. It just surprised me when it appeared.

The reason that I inquired was because we have very few power outages here and I don't want to spend a lot of money on batteries just for the once in a blue moon failure (which usually is typically only seconds in duration).

Although I have an electronics background (until about 30 years ago when I changed to computer programming) I don't know veru much about motor/generator design.

Thanks again.

Jack

Reply to
J. Yazel