regenerative braking

"So how does my exam look, Doc?" "You're fine, so I decided to inject you with AIDS." "You did what?!?!" "Well, how do you expect to enjoy the benefits of modern medicine if you're healthy?"

-- Rich

Reply to
RichD

Great 'theorem"! Tell you what. I've got a real nice large HV capacitor. To prove your "theorem" I'll charge it up to a nice voltage and then use a resistor to remove half the energy stored in it. At that point we'll apply the terminals to your ass.

Moron.

And Guys! Please leave your liberal educations behind. In Science and Engineering Quantity Matters! No, Virginia, the world CANNOT be saved by windmills!

One key parameter in regenerative braking is the rate at which energy produced and returned to the storage system. If you are going 60 and just slow down, you can put large percentage of the energy back into the system (except for the friction and other losses you are overcoming, natch) but if you come up to a read light and lock the wheels, you get next to nothing back. Even with rapid stops there is the question how rapidly and efficiently batteries can be charged at high currents even assuming the regenerate system is capable of those currents. Physicists trying to do engineering! This is a hoot!

Reply to
Benj

Let's return to body-on-frame construction, with a ladder type frame. All frame connections will be bolted and electrically isolated. The driver's side frame rail will be the positive bus bar and the passenger side will be the negative bus bar. The capacitors will bolt directly to the frame rails, as will the motor/generators at each end of the car. Problem solved! In fact, the capacitors can act as the crossmembers, so no actual crossmembers will be required.

Make sure to throw the main disconnect before placing your jack stands.

nate

(guess I better get started on this patent application doomaflatchey...)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

[...]

I don't know *the* number. But I do know *a* number. The distance that an electric vehicle can travel in city traffic on a given set of batteries is extended by at best 10% if it uses regen braking. Hardly worth it for the extra complexity and stress on the electrics. Economies in other areas can had to achieve this figure or better.

I remember this figure from some years ago; I was disappointed to hear it to be so low.

--
John Savage                   (my news address is not valid for email)
Reply to