Re: Inventor of butterworth filter

"Butterworth" is a type of polynomial resulting in a transfer function which

>is implemented by a Low Pass, High Pass, Band Pass or Band Reject passive >or active circuit. The roots of this polynomial fall on a unit circle. > >> Does anyone happen to know the first name of the inventor of the >> Butterworth filter? Or anything else about him? Or whether >> Butterworth actually invented it? I can't find anything online... >

You are missing the key ingrediant: It is his wife, known only as Mrs. Butterworth, who is the more famous family member. She was an employee of a large, multi-national food conglomerant in the 1930s. While working as a nutritionist, she invented a way to manufacture pancake syrup from cow mesenteries, and offered her likeness as a sales gimmick for the commercial produce. It is still offered for sale in the USA. Obviously, her contributions to the general health and welfare far outweighed those of her husband, and she is, therefore, much more widely known.

Or...maybe not.

webpa

Reply to
WEBPA

commercial

her

Google says not....

John McNaught

DAYTON -- John Patrick McNaught died Saturday, April 20, 2001, in Chattanooga.

Born in Dannemora, N.Y., as the sixth of seven children, he grew up in Waukesha, Wis. He graduated from Tufts University in Medford, Mass., with a degree in chemistry and served in World War II as a chemical warfare instructor. He spent his career working for Lever Brothers Co., first in Cambridge, Mass., and then in Edgewater, N.J., where he ultimately became the research director. He was awarded numerous patents in fats and oils processing. **** His best-known invention was Mrs. Butterworth's syrup ****

He moved to Dayton in 1985. He was a member of St. Bridget's Catholic Church, where he was a eucharistic minister and also served on the finance committee. He was a member and served as president of the Dayton Golf and Country Club. He served as a volunteer with the Literacy Volunteers of America. He was an active member of the Dayton Rotary Club. He was an avid bridge player and belonged to several bridge clubs.

He was preceded in death by parents, Waldo F. and Edith McNaught; brother, Waldo E. McNaught; and sisters, Martha, Marion Hettenhouse and Alice Kieley.

He is survived by wife, the former Jane Tulloch, whom he married in 1945; daughter, Maggie McMahon of Signal Mountain; son, John McNaught of Richmond, Va.; daughter, Patricia of Basking Ridge, N.J.; five grandchildren; and two sisters, Margaret Jones of Eastport, Maine, and Joan McNaught of Bedford, Mass.

Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Tuesday at St. Bridget's Catholic Church with Father Gilbert Diaz officiating Visitation is 3-5 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. today Interment in Spivey Cemetery. Services by Coulter Garrison Funeral Home Inc., Dayton.

Reply to
CWatters

Oh.

Never mind, then.

webpa

Reply to
WEBPA

Looks like it's STEPHEN Butterworth OBE !

A Leslie Green (CEng MIEE) replied to a post that I made on the IEE web site. Aparently S. Butterworths 1930 article says he worked for a that he worked for the Admiralty Research Laboratory.

Then "Data Junkie" from the soc.genealogy.britain newsgroup sent me this obituary from the Times...

Reply to
CWatters

More from the geneology newsgroup...

Reply to