Question about Fmax (max oscillation frequency)

Hello, I have a quick question about the maximum oscillation frequency.

I was reading earlier in a paper that the maximum oscillation frequency of a transistor is defined as the frequency in which the powergain is 0 (i.e. input power = output power).

I was just wondering why a transistor was considered oscillating if it's output power is less than it's input power?

I've read many papers explaining the Rollett stability factor (K) and the Available Power Gain (Ga) but nowhere have I found an explanation of why I transistor is "considered" oscillating below fmax.

As well does anyone know of a decent paper or resources that can explain this phenomenom to me?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Joe

That depends on your definition of oscillating. It's possible to drive it from an external source at above fmax.

Reply to
CWatters