Sawtooth-shaped oscillation from op-amp buffer?

Hi!

I have a very simple op-amp circuit built around the MAX4475 single op- amp. It is a non-inverting amplifier with gain 2x (using a resistor- divider 5k6 + 5k6), and dumping to a 1 uF cap on the output. On the (positive) input is a single DC voltage from a bandgap-based D/A- converter.

Now, the strangest thing: when measuring on the op-amp output, I get a near perfect sawtooth-shaped oscillation of perhaps 10-20 mV, frequency maybe 30 kHz (which is not visible on the input). Varying the resistors and/or output cap, shifts the oscillation in size and frequency.

I'm no op-amp guru, does this sound like a pole in the transfer- function ? Shouldn't that give a nice sine-wave ? Why the perfect saw- tooth? Adding a forward compensation capacitor of 12 pF (as per the datasheet suggestion exactly) doesn't change anything at all.

Basically I'm asking if anyone know if this failure-mode is a typical decompensated op-amp buffer or if it sounds strange and could signify some major magic ?

Initially I had the op-amp configured to drive the gate of an external FET, with the same results strangely enough.

Removing the output 1 uF cap increases the oscillation. Changing the output cap to 47 uF reduces the oscillation. I hesitate to do this permanently - I want to understand why it oscillates in that way in the first place...

Next test is to replace the op-amp with some other brand and see if the same problem persists, of course.

Best regards, Bjorn

Reply to
BW

Well, the data sheet says you shouldn't load the output with more than

200pF. 200pF > 200pF.
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The output resistance of the amp times the capacitive load puts an RC lowpass pole into the feedback loop. That's often enough to make even unity-gain stable amps oscillate. The usual trick is to put a resistor in series with the load. If you need better DC accuracy than that will give you, you can take the DC feedback from the load capacitor and the AC feedback from the op amp output.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hey Phil, can about I buy you a coffee?

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Ah yes, a trick from the National analog book.

Reply to
miso

Yup--Widlar's AN4, from 1968--still good reading after 40 years. It's Figure 15--see

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

..

..

The strange thing is that my circuit (when it included the FET-buffer) is a verbatim copy of this article written by Ken Yang of Maxim in EDN:

title is "Ultra-low-noise low-dropout regulator achieves 6-nv/sqrt(hz) noise floor". In this he explicitely breaks the

Reply to
BW

Ok then...

Supply bypass?

Tim

Very strange (strangest part is that a guy from Maxim designs an app- note for their own op-amps which might be inherently unstable). Perhaps I should mail him and ask...

/Bjorn

Reply to
Tim Williams

It's not strange, it's *typical*. Don't blindly trust application note circuits, *ever*! I get the impression they are done by junior engineers, fiddling around in the lab to make interesting circuits, and not always checked all that well. You are not the first one to be burned!

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

A "trick" I've known since I was a kid ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Are you sure you have the opamp inputs the right way around? The circuit you posted a link to had the *negative* input driven from the reference. (The external P-Fet inverts the feedback, so you need to use the opamp inputs the opposite way around than usual).

Failing that, did you try Phil Hobbs advice about AC feedback from the opamp output and DC from the P-Fet output?

[...]
--

John Devereux
Reply to

Right, because you didn't take the feedback from *before* the resistor--adding extra resistance that way looks just like increasing the op amp's output resistance. A better method in this case would be to add an emitter follower between the op amp and the FET.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was as a teenager--I was told, "You can learn a lot of electronics by assuming that all application note circuits are bad, and figuring out how to fix them." I indeed learned a lot of electronics that way.

It's sort of the advanced course--if you can see the jokes in all of H&H's 'bad circuits', the next level is doing the same thing to app note circuits.

BTW many of the mistakes there are of the sort you're seeing here--things that work great some of the time but not always, due to exceeding guaranteed limits on common mode ranges, load capacitance, and so on. Others I've seen are startup problems, bias shifts in large signal operation, and a tendency to turn into lava at low or high supply voltage.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Speaking of jokes, the PNP collector driving an NPN base thru a series resistor, with no pull-down path, in the thread, "What Oscillator is in This PS?", takes this week's grand prize.

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

en

tor

ill

Damn those guys were good. There is also that trick with the high speed buffer in the "can" where you solder the output to the can to reduce input capacitance. They were both smart and practical.

National never gave the analog guys much respect, hence the creation of Linear Technology. It is no coincidence that their engineering building has a sign outside that says "Home of the Gurus". Though I worked for the competition at the time, I had and still have great respect for their designers.

Reply to
miso

This is how it's done:

| |\\ ||-+ --------|+\\ ___ ||-> Q1 | >---o---|___|-----||-+ .----|-/ | | | |/ | R1 o------>

R1 keeps the FET from loading from the op-amp, and C1 eliminates (destabilizing) R1 * Cgs(Q1) feedback delay.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

The FET in the OP's circuit is running common source, with feedback going to the + input of the op amp. Because the FET is an inverting stage, the split feedback trick doesn't work in this simple form.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Oops, I biffed the ASCII drawing. Thanks for the catch. Corrected, above.

It doesn't have the low-dropout, but should still let the op amp cancel Q1's noise.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

The source follower bootstraps the Cgs anyway, so it shouldn't need the split feedback as badly. It also doesn't have the low-dropout feature--one might as well use an LM317. Something like an emitter follower driving the FET would be the ticket.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Or, to keep the low drop-out, why not: V+ -+- || Ca | .---||---. | | || | ||--+ | | | | ___ | |\\ | ||->' Q1 ...----o----|___|---o--|-\\ | ___ | | Ra | >--o-|___|--||--. C1 --- .--|+/ Rb | 100uF--- | |/ o----->

| | | === | .-. GND | | | R2 | | | 3.9k | '-' | | '---------------------o | .-. | | R3 | | 2.4k '-' | === GND

(created by AACircuit v1.28.4 beta 13/12/04

The (+) input already sees R3 || R2 = 1.5k, so a smallish Ra shouldn't wreck the noise performance.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

That might work fine, depending on the gain of the FET/output bypass/load resistance system. The (Z0+Rb)Cgs pole is still inside the outer loop, and the noninverting gain doesn't drop below 1.0 even with the integrator. That can be fixed by adding enough output bypass capacitance that the outer feedback loop is stable regardless of load. Getting the transient response to be decent will be a bit of a problem, but then I think pretty much all LDOs have that difficulty.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs