Purpose of the relay (6 Volt)

I am experimenting on an older (1955) motor scooter that operates on a

6 volt AC magneto. I want to install a 6 volt AC horn. My question is: Do I need a 6 volt automotive horn relay to produce sufficient punch to power the AC horn? Is the purpose of the relay to muster enough voltage to power the horn on demand?

Thanks much for the education you may provide.

Reply to
JoJo

Likely the relay is used so the wiring to the switch, which needs to be handy, doens't have to carry all the current that the horn needs.

If you just had the switch, you'd have to bring the higher current wire to the switch, and then another one of similar current capacity back to the horn.

With the relay, placed right near the horn, you can use quite small wire since it only has to carry the current needed to activate the relay.

Certainly, that's why relays were used to turn on and off old tube type two way mobile radio equipment.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Are you planning to use a 6V AC Coil on the relay?

--
.
.

A relay is just an electrically operated switch. You can use a switch rated for a low current to apply power to the relay coil. When energized, the relay coil will move the relay's higher-rated contacts to apply power to a high current load.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Bennett

activated by a horn button.

Reply to
JoJo

DC coils are unlikely to enjoy an AC supply.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

In an automobile the relay is used to simplify wiring, the power requirements of a horn are not particularly spectacular.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

--
So why don't you just tell him why, and how to make it work, instead
of stringing him along with your inane crap?

Why don't you pull your head out of your butt?

--
.
.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
Why don't you just answer the question instead of playing all of
your time-wasting, pussyfooting games?

You are the only pussy here.

--
.
.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
So you'd like me to leave so you'd be surrounded by cock?
Reply to

I have my own. I don't need to go sniffing for it like you.

--
.
.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
Then it must be because you _want_ to.

But "Sniffing"???  Eeewwwww...
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Didn't yours teach your to that women were better for having sex with than men?

--
.
.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
"Teach your to that" ???  Is that Canadian English or are you
starting to get flustered?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

You started it. Can't handle the truth?

--
.
.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
Jack Nicholson you ain't, asshole, and here's what started it:

"DC coils are unlikely to enjoy an AC supply."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

All i can say is that John must of got you excited because i really can not understand your last line! :)

Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

OK. You go prove that a DC coil will work fine off the 6 volt AC magneto.

I won't hold my breath.

BTW, I was having a perfectly civil conversation with JoJo, the OP, until you decided to crap all over it and he/she left.

--
.
.