parallel port & breadboard

I have some LEDs, resistors, and a breadboard. I want to write a program that will make the LEDs flash in certain sequence (they are attached to the board.) i have to proper resistors and everything so i won't damage anything (i hope). i want to connect the breadboard to the PC through my parallel port, however, i am having a helluva time finding a device to do this. can someone point me in the right direction.

I am going to school for computer science. i am certainly no electric engineer, but i hope to learn.

Thanks in advance, Matt

Reply to
mmayers

you will need to be running W95 or W98 or earlier (or DOS), W2000/XP lock us out of our own parallel ports. Thanks a lot Bill.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,

no no no... im running this on a linux system.

Reply to
mmayers

In that case - just connect the LEDs to the printer data lines, in series with 4k7 resistors to 0V and write to the port IO address.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,
then throw away a week before you need it.
Reply to
Joe Soap

A free little application called userport gives direct access to the hardware on NT/2K/XP. The below link has a couple simple demo links where you can bitbang the parallel port on my XP machine.

Si Ballenger

Take a look at

Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/
Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

If you are looking for parallel port connectors designed specifically for a breadboard, then have a look at the products at this site:

HTH,

B.C.

Reply to
Bill Carson