OT- found some inexpensive slot one Pentium2's

There seems to be a lot of 400 and some 450 MHZ slot one pentiums on the surplus market. If you are running one of the slot one Celerons you might consider changing.

I had a 300-333 Celeron. I upgraded to P2 and doubled the speed (defragging, scanning, burning CDs, graphics rendering, displaying video files, etc.)

The processor I got was a 400 MHZ from BG Micro. I paid $6 for it! Saw them on Ebay along with a few 450's in the same price range.

Unplugged the old Celeron, plugged in the P2, set the bus speed jumper from 66 MHZ to 100 MHZ, and set the multiplier jumper from 3.5 to

4.0, that's all that needs to be done.

You need your motherboard manual to see if it can use the 400-450 chip. Your memory should be PC100 or faster (my old 1999 computer already had PC133). Motherboard manuals are usually easy to find on-line if you didn't get one with your 'puter.

Pretty incredible speed boost for a mere $6 . . .

Going from 333 to 400 may not seem worth it, but doubling the speed of the front side bus and increasing the cache from 128 to 512 makes a world of difference.

default

I remember when an oulet in this city liquidated all its surplus 486DLC chips for $2 each, these chips would replace a 386DX and give an approx 1.5X integer boost ans a massive 10X floating point boost. (assuming no 387 was present)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts