OT: "admilli service" ????

Cleaning up my wife's computer, after a teen-age granddaughter installed a bunch of crap, I ran across a program called "admilli service".

(I'm beginning to wonder how I survived raising four kids the first time around :)

Rather than delete something I'm unfamiliar with...

Anyone know what that is?

...Jim Thompson

Google on "admilli service"

In particular the page at

and

will help you get rid of it.

-- Regards Malcolm Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address

Reply to
Malcolm Moore

Have you tried googling for "admilli service"? - I got lots of hits, and it doesn't look too nice....

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Slowing down your computer. You should delete them and get better performance.

Tim

Tim Williams

Of course. Liberal antiamerican terrorists. Aren't they the cause of all of your problems?

Addiction to Micro$ has nothing to do with it, of course.

Good Luck, dipwick.

Reply to
Rich Grise, Libertarian

I removed six types of adware. I'm running a full NAV scan right now... so far 10 more "threats" :-(

Can a login for a specific user be set such that IE can't run? Or, better yet, deny access to the Internet?

I guess I could just unplug that computer from the router when grandchildren are present, but that's a pain for me to remember.

...Jim Thompson

Convert to NTFS (if you have not already done so) so that all files will have security attributes.

Deny execute permission to Internet Explorer to the accounts you are wanting to block.

The only problem is that I'm not sure -- you may have to have Internet Explorer execute permission in order to run the Windows user interface normally. In that case you could at least deny the relevant accounts access to the Internet Explorer shortcuts (in All Users/Start Menu and All Users/Desktop).

Another thing you can do is monkey with the hosts file (somewhere under system32 -- it works just like UNIX's /etc/hosts). This is a way to block access to specific sites by deliberately associating the names with invalid addresses.

Reply to
mc

Next time you have a problem identifying a Windoze app, this may help. Windows Startup Inspector has a database of 41,000 known programs. It is listed on NoNags.com, so it isn't trialware or crippleware. They rated it 5 out of 6, so it's not crapware. I just heard about it and haven't used it, but I trust those who do recommend it.

JeffM

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

Amusingly, everything I was suspicious about turned out to be adware OR MShit messenging related ;-)

...Jim Thompson

IIRC, it was XP SP1 that killed the messenging crap for me.

I wonder why your post showed up as a new thread. Your posts usually don't do that often. I haven't seen one of mine do it yet.

FYI - after adaware killed Alexis for me, some crap app opened IE and I think it reinstalled Alexsis. It had to be removed again anyway. Firefox, Thunderbird, Mozilla, Dialog (I just can't accept the limited features and non-intuitiveness (?) of Agent and I have the full version) no problems.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

The Cox-sucker news server has been on the fritz.

When I complained, "support" sent me the usual "re-boot, take two aspirin, and call us in the morning" crap.

When I asked for a mailing address to send a complaint, they refused, saying they only accept calls or E-mail.

So now I'll have some fun... file a complaint with the Corporation Commission and copy some of my favorite legislators who want to slap Cox around a bit ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Those droids make me sick.

Those f*cking DSL and BB contracts really cover their asses to the point of not even guarantying that you can connect at all, let alone guarantee a bandwidth.

What'd you do? Google post? It worked for me.

The red button and the delete button are closer than the waste basket and there's less chance of getting a paper cut and ruining their "No lost time accidents pizza party." Also, the idea is to outsource the tech support and *that* company doesn't want you to bitch to their client. You can get Cox's corp address, Jim. That's probably how Convergys lost their DSL tech support contract with Ameritech once they finished the marriage nuptials with SBC.

I know a Canadian (please don't barf) that did Dell tech support. Dell doesn't do it themselves, either.

I know a guy that claims to have gotten results from the Public Utilities Commission. You might try some of the beaureaucrats in Phoenix, also. Cox has to go to them to renew their franchise. Case in point: Morgantown, NC got pissed at TCI and built their own system with SA interdictory taps. Turn you on/off and add services from the office. Media One or Cox (I forget) in Rockford IL had to complete so many miles of upgrade per month or get fined $100k or $200k for each missed deadline. The city can make life hard on a CATV company. And they pay out the ass to get those upgrades done on time :)

Hey! Sounds like "I'll be beck" Arnie wants to run for Pres, but we have to change the law.

Happy New Year.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Replace it with software that actually works.

What app did you have in mind that isn't supported?

Wanna see my menus?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Try "spybot search and destroy" by Patrick M Kolla. He should market it under a different name, but its ok, its freeware with a donation request. do a google, I forgot and cannot find their link from the program. Trust me I use it and it is good. my friend the hacker says its good, he uses both simultaneously, spybot and addaware. both work. good luck and happy new year..........

Reply to
John smith

Presently all computers in the house are booting up as "administrator".

(1) If I change this to a normal user will that prevent installations occurring from websites?

(2) How do I accomplish this? That is, how do I maintain the "run" permissions for already installed programs?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

In Xp you can change the Admin level without re-installing simple by creating an admin account, must have one Administrator level account. Then sign in with the new account and change the level of the other account in control panel/user accounts /change an account/ then select the account and change type of account to limited.

Charles

Reply to
Charles W. Johson Jr.

I'm Win2K SP4 across the board.

...Jim Thompson

I think W2K is basicly the same. Add an Admintrator then reset the present user to limited. You'll wnat the Admin account available for things I'm sure. Most of XPs security seems to come from the NT/W2K line.

Charles

Reply to
Charles W. Johson Jr.

I know how to fix Thompson's computer, but one of his major purposes in life seems to be track down and plonk Rich Grise in any guise, so screw him. Let him continue to think I'm an ignoramus as I gloat over him getting his computer all loaded up with malware by his own stupidity.

Interestingly, the most intense bitching about me seems to come only from the pompous, self-rigteous prigs.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Liberal

A FAR FAR better scheme is to not ever run a MicroSoft OS exposed directly to the net, and maybe never even "barefoot", ie. exposed to physical hardware. I run Linux on my machines directly, used to use Netscape for a browser, now I'm using Mozilla (the underlying engine with a few less bells and whistles that only cause trouble anyway). For the few CAD programs that I still need Windows for, I run Win

2K under VMware, ON the Linux system! It is actually MORE reliable this way than running Win2K on real hardware. It runs for weeks at a time, and usually only has to be shut down when I'm tinkering with settings or something and need to shut down the windows environment on Linux. The Linux system, itself, usually stays up between power failures, ie. 60 - 120 days at a time!

I've been successfully penetrated by hackers twice, and I didn't even have to reboot to throw them off and research how they broke in! My kids have a Win2K system behind a firewall and using IP masquerade, so there is no outside path to the machine at all (it has only a private IP address), and I didn't give them the administrator password, but they've STILL managed to totally trash it so it needs to be rebooted every hour! We used to joke that the Russians copying our IBM 360's set their computing effort back 10 years. Now, it is NO JOKE that Microsoft has set US back by at least that much!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson