Moped charging circuit

I'm trying to help my son fix his moped from his telephoned information that "The battery runs down in a few hours". Basically I know nothing about moped circuitry and there seems precious little help on the web about this. I can't even locate a workshop/service manual for the machine (A '92 Yamamha Slider). Anyone have a circuit diagram/description/any information about this kind of moped? I don't even know what the battery voltage is - I guess 6V lead acid(?). I'm planning a visit next week so would very much like to take kit to try and help him. I can measure the current drain in case something is taking current with the igition off - but I think it may be the charging circuit that's at fault. Is this similar to a car - alternator, rgulator module, battery? Your help much appreciated.

-Thanks

Reply to
Dave

I don't know diddly about mopeds either, but a conservative guess is that it uses a system more similar to a motorcycle than a car.

I'd also guess that the battery, being that old, just needs replacing.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

that

moped

can't

Slider).

of

acid(?).

and

current

at

I just searched for MOPED SERVICE using Google and it listed a a bunch of service shops. I'm sure one of them could help you with your problem. If the battery has never been replaced since 1992, then the most likely cause is the battery, or batteries. Most electrical mopeds run on 24 volts (two

12v batteries in series).

Nihoa

Reply to
nihoa