DC step up converter

I'm looking at building, or actually having built, a step up converter to go from 12v DC to 16v DC, similar to this:

for racing purposes. Does anyone know where I might find a schematic to do something like this?

Thanks.

Reply to
51_racing

Lots of marketing fluff but little data in that link. Like, how many amps?

If you want to see how it's done in general look at the National LM3478 data sheet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I really know very little about this stuff, and was planning on having a friend build it for me. I'm just the driver/mechanic for the car. It has a GM HEI ignition, 12 volt battery, no alternator, that's about all I can tell you, I have no idea on amps or how to find out even.

Reply to
51_racing

If that's your level of understanding, you'll spend a _lot_ of time learning, and probably lose quite a few races to equipment problems, before you get it right.

Unless the quest for knowledge is what floats your boat just buy the module -- if it works right it's a bargain. If it seems expensive make a list of all the parts in your car, and how much it'd cost you to replace them, then add it up. Compare that to the cost of the module.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Then you need a friend who knows electrical engineering really well. The total amps can be measured and calculated. Mostly I guess it will be whatever the ignition system needs plus fuel pumps and whatever else is hanging on the 12V grid and used during a race (two-way radio etc). But watch out for stuff that will not tolerate 16V. The radio, for example, most likely won't.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

The person that is offering to build it is a master electrician, so he must have a fairly good handle on this stuff. Since this is a race car, the only electrical components on the car are the starter, ignition, and a couple of very small 12 volt gauge lights. I had planned to only run 16 to the ignition since that's the only place needed, but it could be the entire system. Some classes allow the use of

16 volt batteries, but mine doesn't so I'm stuck looking for a solution such as this, and since I'm cheap, I'd rather build something than fork out the money for this.

Thanks for the input so far everyone.

Reply to
51_racing

Just keep in mind that this is electronics and doesn't have much to do with what an electrician typically encounters. A switch mode converter requires quite a bit of know-how on circuit board layout, cross-talk and stuff like that.

No idea how big this car is but it might not be too cool to feed the starter from your new 16V supply. That could fry the converter.

Anyway, play it safe. Beyond a few amps this kind of circuitry can become dangerous. I have seen high powered switch mode converters fail in spectacular ways. Stuff flying around, molten solder, plastic shards etc.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

If you can find a converter that does the same thing, but sold to a different market (not race cars), it would come quite a bit cheaper, I think. How about a four or five volt buck converter with an isolated output? I haven't looked for one, but maybe something's out there with the amp rating you need. You could simply put the output of the converter in series with the battery. And if you end up having your converter custom built, this approach is worth considering.

Reply to
kell

Just replace the wiring with Monster Cable ;-)

Seriously, a better way would be to simply build a better CD Ignition.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

However, that requires a whole lot more know-how than a boost converter. Maybe you friends at Bosch have something. But it won't be cheap.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

So, you're trying to do a spark booster, on the cheap, because you think it will make your car go faster?

Try dressing your plugs, and try a proper battery that's designed to last a race without being charged, like a boat or RV battery. For a hotter spark, there are things you can put in your plug wires that introduce an additional gap, such that when the coil voltage gets high enough to fire both arcs in series, it had built up much more energy from the inductive flyback. And, since they're in series, all of the current will flow through each.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Since it probably isn't a good idea to increase theVsupply to an ignition unit that contains electronics already, it seems reasonable to assume the setup in question is the old faithful battery/coil/points type.

One scheme I've had very good results with is simply a "grounded gate" high voltage MOSFET, the grounded gate is actually a bit of a misnomer since the gate is actually connected to +12V, it merely reflects the amplifier configuration as it would be in a normal circuit! The source terminal is connected to the points and the drain terminal is to the -ve of the coil.

When the points are closed the source is held at 0V and as the gate is at

+12V the MOSFET is fully conducting, the real clever bit comes at the instant the points separate. The MOSFET switches off very rapidly and eliminates the points gap arc that wastes energy and since the way it is wired to emulate the common gate configuration, the switching time is extremely fast! This adds to the amplitude of the spark at the plug.

The only other addition is a clamp zener from +12V to source to protect the gate from any ringing, the modification gives a huge improvement at high revs but at low revs where the coil current duration is long enough for DC winding resistance to have greater effect than the coils inductance, the MOSFETs RDSon becomes significant, as a result the performance at very low revs is actually slightly less! Another known problem is cranking voltage, a typical high voltage power MOSFET will have a VGth of around 6 or 7V which can make starting a bit iffy on cold mornings if the battery isn't in tip top condition!

Reply to
ian field

Yes on the "spark booster" but I've already done all the basics. I can run a large gap on my plugs due to the aftermarket coil and module in the ignition system. The battery will pretty easily last two races without charging, that isn't the problem at all. What I'm trying to is supply the higher voltage which, with everything else, will create a hotter spark.

Reply to
51_racing
[snip]

ONLY if it were a conventional ignition with points. An electronic ignition most likely has the electronic "smarts" to run constant energy.

...Jim Thompson

I believe my power cable is a 0 gauge, should be big enough! I agree on the CD ignition, I'd prefer to run a magneto if I could too, but my rules stipulate stock style ignition, which for me is a GM HEI electronic ignition.

Reply to
51_racing

GM? Fry baby, fry ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Actually, no. General motors HEI ignition systems work better at 16 volts and start to lose energy when your battery drains below 11 or so. Since a car with an alternator will have 14+ volts running normally, that is what it would normally see, but since we don't run alternators we run into the problem of batteries draining.

Reply to
51_racing

(knocking on wood) still on my first and only one of the year so far, but in the class I used to race in, I burned up 4 or 5 or them last year.

Reply to
51_racing

Thus my snide remark about GM ;-)

(In the '60's I designed regulators, ignitions systems, turn signals and head-lamp dimmers for all of the American auto manufacturers.)

...Jim Thompson