Lithium battery capacities (18650).

Having discovered that recycling bins in various shops are a good source of lithium battery packs that can be put to various uses, I notice quite a spread in claimed Ah capacities on the information labels.

The first aquisition was labelled "5.2Ah" - there weren't any parallel combinations as it contained an uneven number of cells.

The next rescue was marked "4.2Ah", and contained 3 sets of parallel pairs - so I assume the individual cell capacity is 2.1Ah.

The next was lowest yet at 2.0Ah.

This seems to be quite a spread for apparently identical cells, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something?!

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Ian Field

hi,

chinese manufacturers are prown to mark everything they want on battery capacity between 1 and 2 times the real capacity. it seems to be a constant from clone batteries

2 Ah for a 18650 battery is a good value to trust. then there are devices that measure it, it's always a good tool if you save batteries from trash.
--

Jean-Yves.
Reply to

A capacity tester is probably a long term round-tuit.

The up and running application is an E-cigarette, the cells claiming to be

5.2Ah last a whole day and well into the next (if I forget to change over in the morning).

There's a 2P3S pack claiming to be 4.2Ah that I'm wondering whether to leave the parallel pairs intact.

Another round-tuit job is the discount store 5W LED handlamp that keeps self discharging if I don't leave it permanently on the charger - the information leaflet claims a 2.2Ah capacity cell.

Reply to
Ian Field