Euro Grounding Plug Question

Sounds like what is called a Shukko (spelling?).

Looking at the socket, with the earth pin at the top, live is on the right, neutral on the left.

The earth pin is in the socket. The live and neutral pins are on the plug. Is that what you have there?

--
Gibbo

In accordance with our company policy of minimum environmental impact
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Gibbo

This has the country lists for either. It's in German but just scroll down:

So countries where your kludge most likely will not work would be the UK and Ireland (they got some really weird monster plugs), Denmark, Italy and Switzerland.

As for polarity I don't know, I lived mostly in countries with the external contacts so no polarity there.

And don't forget to turn stuff to 230V. I once did with a razor. Phssst ... BANG.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I just picked up a Euro style plug (continental) at the local parts shoppe. Its a two round prong plus side grounding contacts at top and bottom. Upon closer inspection, it also appears to have a socket at the

12 o'clock position that will accept a mating (round) ground pin in a receptacle so equipped.

I've seen two hole receptacles. I've also seen the ones with the recess and the side ground contact. Where to they hace a recepacle with two holes (at 3 and 9 o'clock) for hot and neutral and a pin at 12 for ground? Since there is only one pin, this could suggest that the plug/receptacle may be polarized. If so, which side of the receptacle (looking into the receptacle) would be neutral and which hot? In countries that use the side grounding contacts, I understand that there is no defined polarization. Correct?

The brand name on the plug is Legrand.

I may burn in hell for this, but I'm goint over to that side of the pond and I'm making my own adapter from a USA 3-way extension cord head and this plug.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

You'll find the English language version here:

John B
Reply to
John B

It's Schuko, short form for Schutzkontakt (protection contact).

In Germany and other countries there isn't much of a convention which side is hot because you can plug them in either way.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Am I missing something - aren't both sides hot? In the US, the only way you can tell the diffference in a 240V plug between the red and black wires would require a clock that is accurate to better than 4 milliseconds absolute.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

[snip]

Yes.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Germany must use the recessed socket with a side ground contact, so the plug (with top and bottom side contacts) can be flipped and hot and neutral are reversible. Wherever they use the 'Schuko' (as described above), I don't think the plug could be reversed. If the neutral is at 9 o'clock, hot is at 3 o'clock and ground is a pin at 12, the plug would not be capable of reversal.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

[snip]

From this description, the Schuko is the reversible plug/socket with side ground contacts and must be non-polarized. What I have is a hybrid Schuko/French plug (bottom photo).

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

[snip]

I have a multi-way (British, Continental, US, Australian) input/output plug adapter. But it only handles one plug, so I'm making a short extension cord with a triple receptacle head to accomodate my entire menagerie of gizmos.

Everything I have has a SMPS with a 100-240V range, no switching required.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

This is the Schuko (Schutzkontakt, = protection (ground) contact).

Of course it can. It can't be reversed with the outlets that have the ground sticking out at 12 o'clock (possibly French), but those aren't called Schuko. Virtually all modern Schuko plugs have that extra receptacle, though, because it's compatible with the Schuko geometry.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Hint: Legrand is (or used to be) a French company.

In France, the wall mounted plugs have two holes for live and neutral and a prong for earth. As to which side is neutral and which is hot, well, there must be a "standard" somewhere but NEVER trust it. All devices here are designed to cope with wichever way the wall mounted plug is wired.

Reply to
OBones

Ken

I see from the link above that the plug is rated at 16A. I don't think I would stand too close when it is carrying that much current. Give me a CeeForm 16A plug any day.

--
John B
Reply to

LOL! We live a dangerous live here, ain't we?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

In most places it can because the wall outlets have the side contacts.

Also, even if there was a polarity plus a standard I would never ever rely on it. Even in the US it's done wrong at times. When we bought our house we sent an inspector through and, whoopdidou, sure enough he found one that had been wrong polarity sind 25 years, hot on the wide contact.

Yep, it's to reduce parts variety in the stock room because this plug fits in countries with the single prongs as well as those with side contacts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Be careful in the UK and Ireland. In some places there it can peak a lot higher than that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Those have become more popular in Europe because they work in more countries and thus reduce inventory.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Try a 1900VA PSU from a logic analyser :-))

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel