KVM any power available?

Hi all...... I need to install a visual indicator for a KVM box indicating which computer is selected. I am wondering where I can get enough power to drive a couple of leds. The only possibility I see is from the serial port, however I understand that only a few milliamps are available there. Any suggestions?

Newfdog

Reply to
Newfdog

How about hooking into pins 4 (+5 Volt) and 5 (Ground) of a PS/2 port. You should be able to get enough power from there. My KVM switch, has LED's that show which PC is active, also it has it's own buffer which hooks into the Keyboard and monitors for a hotkey combination. For this I'm assuming that it's driving an IC, and a few other bits and bats.

Colin Dawson

Colin Dawson

I never even thought of the PS2 port Colin, thanks, problem solved.

Newfdog

Reply to
Newfdog

USB?

MVH,
Vidar
Reply to
Vidar Løkken

are

A few mA is enough to light a LED. But why are you bothering to do thie to begin with? At work our 8-port KVM switch does this by putting the selected port on the CRT screen. Duh.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

indicating

power to

serial

there.

port. You

LED's

hooks into

assuming

For awhile maybe. All our new Dells no longer come with any PS2 ports. All they have are 5 USB ports.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

lol....... could care less about dell, I would never buy that crap.

Reply to
Newfdog