Identifying EL-backlight for LCD

I'm servicing a friend's music sampler (Akai S-1100) which has a worn out backlight for the LCD. As far as I can tell, this is of the "electro-luminensce" (EL) type.

It's very thin, has two electrodes fastened to one end (which is attached via a cable to a small transformer). It's pink on one side and silver on the other and has a transparent coating over both sides. It doesn't light up at all (which I'm sure I would see if it did light up), so I suppose it's dead.

I'm trying to find out where to get hold of a new one, but before that I need to know what to ask for (manufacturer, model number etc.).

It's marked as follows on the silver (back) side:

PW01-397C 10125 0118

Can anyone recognize it?

Hallvard

Reply to
Hallvard Tangeraas

--- It may be that the inverter is dead, not the lamp.

With the lamp disconnected from the transformer, check the resistance across the lamp terminals. It should be infinite. If it isn't it's bad. Also, if it's not shorted, check the capacitance acoss the lamp's teminals. It should be in the range of tens to hundreds of nanofarads. If it's OK, then check the inverter with the lamp plugged in. It should should put out high voltage AC; probably less than a couple of hundred volts peak-to-peak and less than 2000 Hz. (WAG, it depends...)

Bottom line is if your inverter works but the lamp stays dark then yeah, it's the lamp.

-- John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

: >It's very thin, has two electrodes fastened to one end (which is : >attached via a cable to a small transformer). It's pink on one side : >and silver on the other and has a transparent coating over both sides. : >It doesn't light up at all (which I'm sure I would see if it did light : >up), so I suppose it's dead. : : --- : It may be that the inverter is dead, not the lamp. : : With the lamp disconnected from the transformer, check the resistance : across the lamp terminals. It should be infinite. If it isn't it's : bad. Also, if it's not shorted, check the capacitance across the : lamp's terminals. It should be in the range of tens to hundreds of : nanofarads. If it's OK, then check the inverter with the lamp plugged : in. It should should put out high voltage AC; probably less than a : couple of hundred volts peak-to-peak and less than 2000 Hz. (WAG, it : depends...) : : Bottom line is if your inverter works but the lamp stays dark then : yeah, it's the lamp. :

It is probably the inverter. however if you can isolate the two terminals for the lamp -- And only if you can. You can test the lame by connecting it to a source of 120VAC at 50 or 60 HZ. In reduced light it should light. If it lights the inverter has failed. A voltmeter across the two terminals of the inverter should show about 120 to 140 Vac at about 400 to 2,000 HZ.

Reply to
Roger Gt