How can I stop static shock ?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent me getting a zap every time I go to open my aluminium security door ??

Apart from touching my key ring to the door first I can't think of a fix for this problem. Sometimes I forget and it's really giving me the sh--ts !!

Is it possible to connect one of those straps you normally hang on the back of the car, down to an earth rod ??

Thanks, Boozo(not a drinker)

Reply to
Boozo

Get rid of the carpet you walk on to get to the door...

Reply to
MikeM

Install a humidifier in the area. You want to keep the humidity between 45 to 55%. Below about 40% humidy, you can have static electricity form.

If you ground the door, you will most likely still get a shock. It your body that is accumulating the static charge, not the metal door.

Jerry G.

Jerry Greenberg

Take your shoes off indoors?

Yes but it's a bit of a pain to have to walk around dragging a wire though.

Normally this problem is caused by walking around on a nylon carpet while wearing shoes that have good insulating properties. In effect your body becomes a small thunder cloud. Changing the material that the carpet or the shoes is made from usually does the trick. I believe it may be possible to buy a special spray or cleaning solution for the carpet to make it more conductive but I've also heard that it's nasty stuff to work with.

Colin

Reply to
CWatters

If you're being shocked when you approach the door from indoors, try using fabric softener.

Fill a spray bottle with liquid fabric softener. Try a 50-50 mixture with water. Spray the carpet within a 4- to 6-feet radius of the door. This will temporarily get rid of the static problem. You might have to spray again after one or two weeks.

Reply to
Bob Penoyer

though.

the

I usually wear rubber thongs which is the same as a car on rubber tyres building up that same static. Having said that, my friend wears thongs(rubber) and it very rarely happens to him so go figure ?? I didn't mean to hang a strap from my backside, I was thinking of a strap from the door to earth, but as you say I'll still be charged.

Thanks to all for the ideas anyway. Maybe I can connect myself to the grid and reduce my power bill ;-)

Regards, Boozo.

Reply to
Boozo