High temperature superconductors and radiation screening effect?

Hi all.

I was reading the latest article about the latest research on magnesium diboride with the possibility of using similar materials to achieve Tcs of above 200K, and suddenly had a thought.

It has been well established that superconductors exclude a magnetic field, an effect which extends into the realm of radio waves and visible/infrared light. So it occurs to me that a simple method of detecting candidate materials in a bulk sample would be to affix said sample to a Peltier module with a temperature sensor, with a radio emitter (possibly as simple as a Gunn diode) and detector assembly to detect changes in transmission and/or reflection as well as interference patterns.

Even a few parts in a million of a near-room temp material should affect the transmission of radio signals through the material at the critical temperature, where an inert sample will have no detectable effect.

Has anyone published a paper concerning this possibility?

Thanks, -A

Reply to
conundrum

Yes, it's called 'diamagnetism' and in addition to superconductors, it is common to all conducting materials at high frequencies.

The extension of diamagnetism to low frequencies (and DC) is uniquely strong in superconductors; at RF, the superconductor behavior is not unique. The history of TTF-TCNQ is a case example that might be worth looking into; as long as folk were making AC measurements, it looked like a superconductor. It wasn't one. That was around the early 1970s, as I recall.

Reply to
whit3rd