Firefly Generator

The "Firefly" sells in bicycle shops for about $8.00. It's an LED + watch battery that attaches to the rim ends of spokes and creates a pretty noticeable marker or running light.

The problem is the battery runs down.

Couldn't a small coil + rectifier + capacitor + LED be placed on the spoke ends with a magnet on the forks or chain or seat stays? The wheel itself would become a generator.

What kind of small coil would averaget 3 volts/0.1 amp when swiped with a magnet at speeds > 5 mph?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com mentioned...

It could be similar to these.

But I think a pair of AAA cells would be much better than button cells, and would last for months.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

. . .

If the magnet must pass through the coil it may not work.

Bret Cahill

All conservatism is based on censorship of economic information. -- Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

Perhaps you could use a magnet to attract a bit of steel fixed to a piezo crystal? As the magnet goes past the steel plate it would stretch or conpress the crystal slightly then let it go. Probably quite inefficient though!.

Reply to
CWatters

Hi Bret:

I ride a bike every day and my experience is that the alignment of parts in affordable bikes is willy-nilly at best. Set up some strong magnets on the wheel and some induction coils on the fork and it might work; for a while. The average biker (pedal power type) would probably rather buy batteries than keep a generator version working. I alreadty have enough trouble keeping the brakes and the shifter working. The shifter on my bike has a mind of its own, by the way. I think it's haunted.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Cheap bikes are OK. Cyclists just need to stop pegging curbs and start replacing broken spokes.

I understand they already did that for a head light. I figured a bunch of magnets would weight more than a coil.

. . .

What makes you think YOUR choice of a gear ratio is correct?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com mentioned...

The coil is wound flattened out so that it is more like the pancake coil in a metal detector. Then the magnet passing close by will generate current.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun

. . .

THAT'S what I wanted to know.

I remembered the definition of some unit like amp being a unit of magnetic field passing a meter of wire in the normal direction at some distance so I should have been able optimize the coil on my own. It just took a few tries to articulate the question.

I'm trying to get away from coffee.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

Reminds me of a VERY old article from Hot Rod Magazine where they needed a lot of rotational inertia when they engaged the clutch so they put in a _bronze_ flywheel.

Relative densities of iron and copper: http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:rTD_ls9BCLEJ:

JeffM

In article , jeffm snipped-for-privacy@email.com mentioned...

http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:rTD_ls9BCLEJ:

I drove a deuce-and-a-half truck when I was in Germany in the army. Flat out in 5th gear, at about 2800 or 3000 RPM, the diesel engine would do about 65 MPH on the autobahn. Well, that wasn't good enough for a couple of motorpool grease monkeys, so they disabled the governor on the engine. The flywheel disintegrated and killed one and cut the legs off the other guy. Tsk-tsk.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun

They were probably looking for a way to save up some energy for a quick start.

A lot of angular momentum in a bicycle wheel, however, makes me nervous on descents.

Even worse are low speeds. Overcoming the inertia will destroy your knees. You can't just coast through intersections.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill