Electronics for CDROMs

Hi all,

I'm looking to incorporate a CDROM drive in a fully customized product. But I'm having a lot of difficulty finding sources for just a bare cdrom drive. That is, one that is not productized already in an enclosure, with a tray and other associated parts.

What we need is just the bare drive, that is, no enclosure, no motorized tray. Just the primary electronics. The design we plan to use is a custom clamshell type where the shell is incorporated into the overall body. Any advice/suggestions would be welcome.

\ghh

Reply to
gh_hardy

LG is one of the leading manufactures for producing CD drives. If you contact them directly, they can source what you want. They will expect a large quantity for whatever they do.

To do your prototyping you should simply buy a drive, and strip it down. Take care, that from month to month the productions for these change very quickly. This is a good reason to talk directly to a manufacture of these to find out how to proceed.

--

Jerry G. =====

I'm looking to incorporate a CDROM drive in a fully customized product. But I'm having a lot of difficulty finding sources for just a bare cdrom drive. That is, one that is not productized already in an enclosure, with a tray and other associated parts.

What we need is just the bare drive, that is, no enclosure, no motorized tray. Just the primary electronics. The design we plan to use is a custom clamshell type where the shell is incorporated into the overall body. Any advice/suggestions would be welcome.

\ghh

Reply to
Jerry G.

If you want enough units speak to the manufacturers. I think they all have some form of customization service. If you don't want lots best give up and modify a standard item.

Reply to
CWatters