Digital, or analog?

Or if they don't like the electrons you feed them. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Naw, it's just you only see the smoke when you do something that lets the magic smoke out of the package. It's sort of like a genie, once you let the smoke out, the magic is gone and the part no longer functions.

Reply to
Ray Andraka

At the quantum level, everything might be digital; but above that level everything looks more analog. However many digital engineers will only treat anything as analog when dragged kicking and screaming.

Otherwise, if there exist a useful model of a signal or circuit which can treat everything as a bunch of "1"'s or "0"'s, and still predict the systems behavior correctly (within the applications reliability targets, and when the system is operated within design contraints), then any of the actual behavior outside of the digital models is ignored.

So the difference between digital and analog is conscious ignorance. If the ignorance succeeds, then the circuit or signal is digital. If there is a failure of this ignorance, or the system is being operated near the edge of operating constraints or reliability goals, then analog models are brought back into the picture to see if they can do better.

IMHO. YMMV.

--
rhn A.T nicholson d.0.t C-o-M
Reply to

That seems very cogent to me. Thanks.

Jerry

--
"I view the progress of science as ... the slow erosion of the
  tendency to dichotomize."                    Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.

May I give a "counter example"?

Light was once thought to be "continuous" ("analog").

*THEN* photons were "discovered". Particles are "discrete"/"digital".

Please note liberal use of " character.

In other words (as has been stated before), chose the representation most appropriate to problem.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Did anyone ever analyse or even draw a schematic of the 'keychain whistle' devices? When you'd whithle, it would beep back at you to indicate where it was.

ISTR it used a CD4000 or similar as only active device, and a single piezo as both mic and beeper.

It would go quite some time on a battery as well. Clever design.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak