Cost of a Traffic Signal ??

The kind of people who think other people brake too fast are the kind of people who drive too close to the car in front...

Tim

--
And the beast shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a
thousand thousand fold. The din of a million keyboards like unto a great

Certainly bad judgement. But I consider myself an *expert* driver (want to test me ?) and I find trying to watch two high speed directions with one of them blind beyond a hundred yards very disturbing.

If I applied the rules of the gene pool only a few of you would be remaining ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Back when I lived in Louisiana (a great place to be *from*, as they say) I used to keep track of chronic highway death traps and figure how much money the state would have to spend to save lives, ie, how much a human life was worth to them. The number was rather consistantly in the $3000-per-life range.

Here in Ca, it's amazing that most mountain and coast cliff roads don't have guard rails. I guess they just block the views.

John

message

my

Err, no.......

You offered a scenario, I gave it meaning.

You're an interesting thing. You seem to define yourself according to other things definitions about what you think you might be.

If the sum of your wealth of their experience comes down to one word, retard, then I don't think your elephants would be overly impressed.

I'm a wanker

DNA

Reply to
Genome

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:37:17 -0000, "Genome" Gave us:

No. You are the wanked.

Reply to
DarkMatter

In news:3fcf702f$0$14038$ snipped-for-privacy@lovejoy.zen.co.uk (Fred):

Just a few years ago, my entire residential neighborhood had stop and yield signs installed at every intersection. In a RESIDENTIAL zone... so now, whenever driving in a new place that doesn't have the obvious "idiot signs," you don't instinctively think to stop, you have to cognitively assess the danger of entering the intersection. This takes effort... and most people are lazy. If we would have never started putting these signs up, then this (new) problem would not exist. Funny how that works... now about the lazy part... :)

Reply to
Mark Jones

In one city I lived in, the usual cost of a traffic signal that they had not planned for was the lives of two adults or one child, with pedestrian deaths carrying more weight than driver/passenger deaths. City engineer: "That intersection doesn't need a light." Newspaper front page: "An eight year old was killed crossing the street to the grocery store yesterday." City engineer: "We'll have the light in three weeks."

Deaths at an intersection that people have notified the responsible governmental agency about usually get results - especiall;y with media coverage or in an election year.

The cost of the signal depends on

  1. whether it's stand-alone or tied in with other signals
  2. whether it's timed or tripped by vehicle presence
  3. whether it has time-of-day cycle awareness or always does the same "1 minute E-W, 2 minutes N-S" cycle
  4. whether there are left turn lights
  5. how many overhead/pole-mounted light heads there are
  6. whether AC power is available or must be run in
  7. whether the signal controller (most are probably microprocessor based) has backup power to keep the date/time if the signal has time/day sensitivity
  8. the cost of the vehicle sensors (if provided)
  9. the mechanical and electrical installation costs
  10. things I haven't thought of 0K doesn't sound unreasonable for a T-intersection tripped signal with left turn lights.

The city of Atlanta has some incredibly expensive traffic signal installations in the downtown area, but they can all be controlled rom a central computer system - especially good for turning the proper combination of lights green/red when there's a fire, so the fire equipment has green lights all the way from the station to the fire scene.

More about me:

VB3/VB6/C/PowerBasic source code:
Freeware for the Palm with NS Basic source code:
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras:
johnecarter at@at mindspring dot.dot com. Fix the obvious to reply by email.

Reply to
the Wiz

Just drive a BMW Isetta. Its close to the same thing.

note to spammers:  a Washington State resident
How do I set a laser printer to stun?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

ROTFLMAO! The very first day I was at MIT I met a guy from Minneapolis who had driven all the way to Cambridge in an Isetta. We went out to dinner in the thing... it's scary to be looking at bumpers straight ahead of your eyes ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I read in sci.electronics.design that Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote (in ) about 'Cost of a Traffic Signal ??', on Sun, 7 Dec 2003:

This used to be highly classified, but I can now tell you that you send it the hexadecimal code sequence 53 54 55 4E. (;-)

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

We have a running verbal battle about bicyclists in the Ahwatukee Foothills News Letters-to-the-Editor section.

The bicyclists think they should be able to ride down Chandler Blvd.

5-abreast.

A former AZ DPS officer wrote in and suggested they were just Darwin Awards waiting to happen... though he tended toward the gross using words like squish and ooze ;-)

We have designated bike lanes out here; I think some enforcement is going to be necessary to educate bicyclists to use the lanes appropriately.

...Jim Thompson

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com (Jim Thompson):

Personally, I'd like to see a trade-in policy, when Big Oil runs out and the hydrogen car flops... trade in your $20,000 auto for a $200 bicycle, which gets unlimited mileage, is healthy to operate, and produces little to no pollution. Maybe then, 5-abreast would not be such a proposterous idea...

If you ride a bicycle, you're quick to learn that cars are out to kill you. It doesn't matter if you're 1 or 100 years old, they think they own the road and if you're on it, then you diserve to be squashed like some puny little bug. It's THAT logic that needs changing, not any other.

Reply to
Mark Jones

[snip]

(1) I like "squished" better ;-) (2) I thought this was a technology group. Don't you believe that technology will quickly find a solution just as soon as oil prices start toward the untenable? When car companies can't sell cars what do you think will happen... close down? Dream on.

...Jim Thompson

Works for me.

_Some_ of us are.

Concur. 'Til then I'll watch my ass.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

Do you really think there will be decent roads if there are no cars or trucks that need them? Think about it. Do you know where the money to build an maintain roads come from? Fuel taxes. With no motor vehicles, there will be no money or need for good roads. You'll need a horse or donkey, because you would kill yourself trying to dodge all the broken pavement on a bicycle.

--
17 days!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

idea...

you.

road

Unfortunately for bike riders the automobile drivers DO own the road. The fuel tax they pay build and maintain the roads. Bike riders do not contribute to the construction and maintainance of the roads yet they are allowed the same access to the roads. And some still complain!

Reply to
Thinker

You have made a major logical blunder here. I drive AND ride bikes. I pay taxes for fuel AND like to use my bicycle. Therefore, I have a right to complain if the conditions on the roads I help pay for are not suitable for bicycle use. You have assumed that bike riders do not pay the taxes that support the roads. Guess again.

Cheers!

Chip Shults My robotics, space and CGI web page -

Sir Charles W. Shults III

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 10:19:20 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Dumbfuck. If there is a designated lane, they will be in it. If not, the lane they are in is their lane. PERIOD.

Short of impeding an entire line of traffic, your lame ass can LEARN to pass safely, and responsibly.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:35:27 -0500, "Mark Jones" Gave us:

No shit ya retarded twit. When I SAID THAT, your lame ass came back with "You have to cover your own ass."

You are one retarded f*****ad, boy. Fuck off. Then die, or get hit by a fast moving 2.5 ton chunk of steel.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 23:35:08 GMT, "Ross Mac" Gave us:

Another retarded set of remarks from the retard of the year award winner.

Reply to
DarkMatter