Converting mains battery charger for 12v operation

I can assure you that IMOE that is NOT the topology of most small (aka hand-held) appliances that employ Li-Ion cells. They employ (at most) a pack protection module which monitors the parameters you describe but this does NOT provide the charge control function, merely providing the safety element. In appliances such as typical cellphones which employ a single cell (i.e. operate at 3v6 nominal) there is frequently NO electronics whatsoever in the pack.

Reply to
budgie

Hi,

The measured battery voltage (no load) is 7.65v. The battery claims to be a

7.2v 3Ah LiIon pack. I guess it is a 2S Li-Ion pack.

Thanks, Jack

for

message

are

DC

daughter

the

can

case,

in

the

thing

the

in

The

Reply to
Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack)

Hi Peter,

Thanks loads for your reply.

Hmm... I don't think my battery pack does have any protection circuitry in it. I may be wrong. I'm only guessing... but there definitely is a pretty complex looking daugter board inside the charger - it's got 2 SMD ICs and 7 SMD FETs (at least, I assume they're FETs).

Jack

message

voltage

it

out

is

the

be

camera

and

monitor

subsea

switchmode

down.

has the

Reply to
Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack)

Jack,

I took a look at your pictures. Hard to tell what is there, but a lot of stuff. In line with what some others have been saying, the 8.45V may be the actual battery charging voltage. Can you measure the voltage coming off the charger at the two spring loaded(?) contacts that connect to the battery to see if it is 8.45V. I would still look at the Canon web site if they make some kind of car adapter.

side

regulator

their

fed

guess

the

battery

camera

or

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Hi,

OK - I've actually bought a 12v to 240v inverter - it's pretty good.

Thanks, Jack

the

the

message