Car Radio Adpater??

external

power

transmitters

him

involved

The sales of anything like that is against Ebay policy, and - if you report it - Ebay will nix it. But Ebay won't take it upon themselves to police their own auctions, and there have been complaints about that. I've seen sellers successfully selling broadcast exciters, which are _only_ allowed to be sold to those with a license or a CP (construction permit), or for 'export' outside the U.S. But this still slips under the Ebay radar, all the time.

an

tell,

similar

All the Ramsey stuff was within Part 15.

having ANY

holding

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Are you sure? This just sounds too incredible on all levels. Maybe the publishers' lawyers are just bullying eBay's lawyers, but I would think that eBay would be smarter than that.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

As you can see, they don't really want to get involved, and cancelling listings that are claimed to infringe is the least they can do.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

What is wrong with this picture (from the 2nd URL above)...

"...we removed the listing because that rights owner identified your listing, under penalty of perjury, as offering an item or containing material that infringes their intellectual property rights..."

"Unfortunately, eBay cannot require the rights owner to provide you with the exact reason of the request to remove your listing."

"Under penalty of perjury", but "don't know the exact reason"? Huh? No danger of any perjury there. If the publisher doesn't want the competition from you selling your legal copy, eBay will be very happy to violate your 1st amendment rights. What a crock of manure.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Spehro Pefhany wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Never let it be said, that they didn't do the least they could do.

:)

Reply to
buck rojerz

We'll have to leave the price stickers on our books (*) and keep the cash-register receipt taped inside the cover as proof that our books aren't pirated.

But I suppose that if you were industrious, you could pirate the price stickers and cash-register receipts as well.

(*) And you thought that Minnie Pearl was crazy for leaving the price tag hanging from her hat.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Well, I ass-u-me that Border's wouldn't have sold a pirated book. :-)

I think it's just that the people who published "Linux for Dummies" are morons. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There was a guy selling low cost editions of some technical books (made for the Indian region) on eBay, and he got his account cancelled.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Right... the way copyright law works, different publishers can have the rights to the same book in different countries, and it's common for low-cost editions to be issued in India that are not for sale in the UK or US. This is partly to discourage local piracy, which used to be common in Asia.

Anyhow, the upshot of it is that on eBay (and anywhere else), you cannot sell, at retail, these cheap editions. One-off sale of copies that were brought here for an individual's use is OK; importing them for resale is not.

Reply to
mc

When I was in the USAF, late 1960's-early 1970's, Taiwan was big on pirated books. So big, in fact, that they specifically checked for them at customs. I got a couple through by explaining to the customs guy, "Who would buy a book like this at full price anyway?" One was "The Sensuous Dirty Old Man by Dr. A."; Dr. A was Isaac Asimov, pictured on the back with a bra for a blindfold. It was quite clever, as are all of The Good Doctor's works. The other one was some electronics circuits tome, that nobody cares about anyway. ;-) I no longer have either book. )-;

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise