"Backpan" or "backplane"?

A tech writer is asking me "backplane" or "backpan"?

The use is in describing PLCs and the PCB the function cards plug into.

His technical source--an engineer of the PLC manufacturer--insists the term is "backpan".

I've only seen "backplane" but a net search does turn up uses of "backpan" specifically with reference to PLCs.

What say y'all?


Reply to
Loading thread data ...

I am thinking the backpan is the back part of the cabinet the the backplane is mounted to. The backplane is the part of the PLC chassies that holds the sockets and interconecting wiring for the plugins of the PLC, most often a printed circuit board.

Sometimes the backpan has the DIN rails that hold the small PLCs and relays and such.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Backplane. It's never been called anything else in the roughly 30 years of my career and in all kinds of markets.

Maybe the PLC engineer's ancestors were goldpanners :-)

Regards, Joerg 

Reply to

The backpan is the metal plate onto which is mounted the backplane. The backplane is the pcb onto which connects the various cards of the PLC.

The backpan allows the PLC to be removed from its enclosure without removing the enclosure from the wall.


Reply to

ElectronDepot website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.