baby monitor and emr

does anyone one have any idea if the bebe sounds infant movement monitor emits electromagnetic radiation. the device consists of a pad that is placed under the crib mattress and pics up movement (or lack of movement) by sending a signal to a base monitor that is run by 4 AAA batteries. I am concerned that my little one is soaking up emr. I this a legitimate concern? thanks.

Reply to
garry

In a word, NO!!!!!

...and no, you do not have a legitimate concern although you deserve to have one by employing such a device to monitor an infant. Most caring parents monitor their infants closely and in person. Lack of movement is the very last sign of an infant's distress.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Well... That product is a wireless device so yes it does expose your child to some RF energy, but I've not seen any evidence that this energy is harmful at the levels involved. Personally unless there is a history of cot death in your family I would use a regular baby monitor/intercom. We used a wireless version.

Harry - can you explain how you can monitor them when you are asleep? I slept through the 200 year storm we had in the UK some years ago. I awoke next day to find trees down and tiles off the roof. Never heard a thing. Current advice is that your baby should sleep in a cot in your room but not in your bed with you.

Reply to
CWatters

harry,

thanks for your reply, but you are assuming a quite a bit about me. I am extremely involved with my children and only use monitoring while at night when I am asleep--I am concerned about SIDS. You take quite a leap in assuming that I use a monitor to replace interaction. be careful of drawing conclusions on limited information!

Reply to
garry

My mother and father and the rest of the family slept through the SIDS death of my infant sister also. Had we had such a device, she could possibly be alive today. Her twin brother will be 40 in November.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Just sharing some advice based on the experience of raising 3 children who are now all adults. Our last, who is now 25, was a premie with a birth weight of just under 4-lbs. During her first year she slept on a matress equipped with a breathing monitor which would sound a loud alarm on any abrupt change in breathing patterns. Of course during that year, at least one of us was never more than 25 -feet away from the crib at any time on a 24/7 basis.

With the other two children, we simply took the usual precautions.

-- Until age 2, their crib shared our bedroom

-- During waking or nap hours, they were never out of our eyesight

-- We avoided the tendency to put stuffed animals or toys inside of their cribs

-- Hourly crib checks are an essential safety precaution

-- Generally, we followed the same practices as used in the hospital maternity ward

In closing, I am assuming very little about you, but if you are concerned about the possibility of SIDS while you are sleeping, and I assume that you are sleeping in the same room with your infant, a loud audible breathing alarm would be a far more practical solution than any sort of wireless device that may or may not function when needed most Check with the maternity ward of any major hospital and see what they use.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

damn tom, I am really sorry to hear that.

Reply to
garry

CWatters posted:

"Harry - can you explain how you can monitor them when you are asleep? I slept through the 200 year storm we had in the UK some years ago. I awoke next day to find trees down and tiles off the roof. Never heard a thing. Current advice is that your baby should sleep in a cot in your room but not in your bed with you."

First, it is an implicit assumption that you sleep in the same room as does your infant. Also, if you are not going to be awake to monitor the infant, your mate should be. In our case, having raised three children, we took turns monitoring each of the children though their infancy on a

24/7 basis. It's something that simply goes with the turf. :-)

Second, it would be damn near impossible to sleep though the audible alarm of a conventional infrant breathing monitor system unless you are sedated, and then you should have someone else caring for the infant.

Bottom line is that I don't see a wireless device having any useful role whatsoever since you should never be so far removed from the infant that you require a wireless link to connect you.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

monitor

movement) by

am

A more 'legitimate' concern is whether or not the pad under your kid is soaking up urine from the kid's diapers. In which case, he might get a real charge.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

yeah right. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Reply to
CWatters

So one of you was always up? That is impressive.

Reply to
garry

Me neither, and there is also an implication there that it is my parents' fault that my sister died. Bottom line...

I hardly think that this is the "norm" as a parenting practice, it looks like it was a matter of personal choice. I have read a few parenting books in my day, and, even nowadays, when safety is much more of an issue than it was when I was a child (I can give a number of examples), I have never seen any recommendations for monitoring children to this extent. Granted, it worked for you...

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre