Advise wanted on equipment purchase

I have started a small Electronic consultation company and have a small budget of $7000 to buy few equipments like scopes, smd soldering tools, analysers, processor kits..etc. (I already have low cost meters, soldering irons etc..)

The kind of work that we would be doing is -

  1. microprocessor based SMD systems, say running at 300 MHz

  1. RF stuff, possibly

Reply to
siliconmike

CWatters

A digital scope with deep memory is essential. If you really need to work on 300MHz systems then you need at least 600MHz scope bandwidth, which you will struggle to get on your budget. Maybe start with something lower-end unless/until you know you need the bandwidth straight-off. decent (read HP,Tek,LeCroy) testgear holds value well so trading up is not a big deal.

Agilent are tops in this area due to their mixed-signal models and fast front-panel response - the new 6000 series is fantastic but may be outside your budget, and too new to find used. HP 54654D (2analog+16 digital MSO) or its successors are unbeatable within their bandwidth limits for most micro work. You probably don't need a logic analyser yet, especially if you already have an MSO. You will know when you find a problem that needs it.

For soldering, get a Metcal MX500 series iron and a handful of tips - usually plenty available on ebay. Don't bother with the fancy square PLCC etc. tips - a couple of long bar types and some practice will do fine. A Cheal Hakko or Liester (or clone) hot air station is handy, again, don't bother with the fancy nozzles, you just don't need them.

Reply to
Mike Harrison