Adaptive antenna system and beamforming

Hi,

Is anybody know how and at which step of signal transmission (practically) beamforming is done in case of AAS. I found many documents explaining how it's possible to discriminate users, sometimes with exemples of algorithms to determine direction of arrival,.. but I still don't understand how it can works practically :

_ Is this method used in uplink and downlink ? In uplink, system should determine from which direction comes from the signal but in emission ?? _ Tx : from exemple in 3G networks, each timeslots (10ms and soon 2ms) can be affected to a different user => this imply diagram should be changed at each period ? (it seems to me so.. short..) _ Rx : it's even more difficult, several users can transmit at the same time => how the system will decide which direction should be privileged ? These beamforming operation should lead to many delays, no ?

Thanks, FreD.

Reply to
FreD.