101 things to do with a dead hard disk....

Hi group.

With all the computers being scrapped, there must be literally thousands of useless HDD's dumped every week in the UK alone.

So, things to do with them.

1) Maglev (take off heads, use one of the actuator magnets) 2) Hard drive speakers (see Afrotech's site for this one) 3) Novelty paperweight (take off lid, fill with casting resin) 4) Novelty keyring (old Microdrives work well for this) 5) Exhibit in computer museum 6) Drive failure mode analysis 7) Send back to manufacturer and get new drive under warranty 8) Strip down for useful connectors and SMD tantalums 9) Bulk sell the PCB's on Ebay for data recovery purposes 10) Sell them on Ebay for £0.99 each as "Faulty" :) 11) Fix them with Spinrite 6.0 and sell as refurbished drives 12) Stress relief (spin up to insane RPM and hit with hammer) 13) Novelty doorbell (put button in centre of platter) 14) Doorstop 15) Pack with Thermite and light it to see how much is left of drive 16) Maglev train (same principle as *1 but a row of them) 17) Miniature centrifuge (take off platters, add tube carrier unit) 18) Time capsule (write data, seal in durable case then bury in concrete) 19) Laser scanner (glue mirrors to the spindle motor/actuator arm) 20) Tesla Turbine (nice flat platters- might work!) 21) Spin-coating machines 22) Gyroscopes for small satellites 23) Ultra-high RPM sanding machines 24) CD Destroyer (fix CD clamp to spindle motor and pin to head arm) 25) Strip spindle motors out, and use for small R/C helicopters 26) High efficiency motors for solar water pumps 27) Attach propellors and use as wind turbines

Please add to this :)

-A "Bother" said Pooh, as his Geiger counter went off the scale...

Reply to
Andre

I remember seeing a website that showed plans for using parts from dead hard drives as galvos for laser light shows.

Mark Buckles Harlan Labs San Diego

Mark Buckles/Harlan Labs

I made a "winder" for the kids beyblades from a laptop disc and two laptop Ni-MH cells.

Reply to
Mjolinor

The motors from CD drives have been rewound and used to power small indoor RC model aircraft. Perhaps you could also do that with an HD motor?

Reply to
CWatters

28) Hang platters from wire hanger: Windchime 29) Mount a battery powered clock unit to a platter: Art deco clock 30) Frisbee 31) Reflective painting canvass (leave blank areas in image to use the reflective property...)
Reply to
SumGie

Get a sheet of plywood, paint it black and glue lots of platters to it to make a 60s style mirror.

Get a really big sheet of plywood and mount loads of platters at such an angle that they all reflect the sun to the same spot and use it as a solar power thingy. I suspect it might actually be cheaper to buy mirrors though and you might have trouble keeping Bond's light fingers off the Solex.

I have actually used some parts in real life. I used a bearing as a cam follower in a PCB etching agitating machine I built and I used the motor spindle thingy as a boss to allow me to use a puller to extract a bearing from a CCTV panning gear.

I have dozens of the incredibly strong magnets, as we scrap a hell of a lot of drives here and I always strip out the magnets, as I still haven't got over the novelty of them yet (well I am only 40). Still trying to come up with a use for those, they're not an ideal shape (well, I supose they are an ideal shape for hard drives)

Reply to
KevinR

Hang from rear view mirror.

Joking aside, I use the bearing as a swivel for the follower wheel on my robot....smmmoooooth!

Al

Reply to
Al

If it's merely obsolete (as opposed to broken) put a transparent window in it with some LEDs for illumination and put it to work (real or simulated). Watching the heads do their stuff is cool (well, it is if you're a bit sad like me).

Tim

--
Google is not the only search engine.
Reply to

Damn, forgot all about this, I first did this with a Conner CP344 HDD about 12 years ago! Mind you, I only used a portable transistor radio as the sound source so you had to get pretty damn close to hear it, but it did work!

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Big fat washers come to mind, ive got a few of um now, very large and strong, im sure they will come in handy which I need a big fat washer for something someday..........

Chris

Reply to
exxos

It was written by KevinR[ snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net] in message :

[what to do with dead HDD]

The magnets, if strong enough, could be used as "hangers" for tools. Just don't put it near a working HDD.

I have a 2GB hard drive here that is dead. ah, if I was able to open it without breaking it (really tight screws)....

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
MSN: wizard_of_yendor[@]hotmail[.]com http://marreka.no-ip.com

In message , exxos writes

Some of the platters are glass though. IIRC IBM have some glass platter drives.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Not seen any of those, only the metal types.

Chris

Reply to
exxos

Took apart a Gatwicked (i.e. bounced around in luggage handling) hard disk, 500MB. That had glass platters :)

The newer miniature laptop disks use them because they provide much more stable surfaces for the sputter coating of media onto.

-A

Reply to
Andre

exxos

and

washer for

platter

I took apart a 2.5 inch HD to see what was inside, and I left the single platter on the desk, thinking it was metal. I set something heavy on it and heard a crunch, and yep, it turned out to be a glass platter, broken into a bunch of splinters. :-(

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I did find a use for broken HDD platters. Cut the glass into suitable pieces (wear goggles!!) and then glue onto a hard disk spindle motor. Instant rotary mirror for laser projection :)

-A

Reply to
Andre