Xilinx S3 IO during programming latches Cypress FX2 Reset

Got a strange problem here. When I power up, the platform PROM starts up the Spartan 3 OK and a Cypress FX2 (USB2). However when I shoot another program down through the JTAG cable, there is a slight dip in the FX2 reset pin, which I connected to a Spartan IO, from about 3.3V to 2.2V. This slight dip in voltage seems to hose the FX2 chip and its oscillator will not come back on. I thought that the IOs during the programming cycle of the Spartan 3s were high impedance and I shouldn't see such a dip.

In retrospect, I should have wired the Cypress FX2 Reset pin to an RC network like the data sheet says. But instead I wanted to be able to start the FX2 after things were stable with the Spartan 3. Another issue is why the FX2 won't recover, even if I cycle the reset pin, but that question I will direct to the Cypress folks.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

b r a d @ a i v i s i o n . c o m

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

AFAIK, IOs are pull-down/pull-down/None during configuration based on configuration options, Mode pins and maybe hotswap-enable, default is pull-down.

pull-down in FPGA and pull-up in FX2 could explain 2.2V ....

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I tried pulling the reset pin high. But that doesn't help in configuration mode. Perhaps if the pullup was on before the configuration?

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

Brad,

The HSWAP_EN pin turns on all IO pullups prior to DONE, or leaves the IOs float.

Aust>>AFAIK, IOs are pull-down/pull-down/None during configuration based on

Reply to
Austin Lesea