Xilinx java application freeze

Hello,

I'm using the Xilinx tools under linux 32 bits ( a gentoo ) and I'm having a really big problem. Basically every Xilinx application based on java (chipscope, planahead, coregen) can just 'freeze' at anytime (usually pretty soon after I launch it). By freeze I mean the GUI completly stops responding and doesn't even refresh anymore.

Since the Xilinx tools are more and more based on java, that means I'm really screwed.

Anyone with the same symptoms or a diagnostic ?

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

Hi Sylvain,

What version of the Xilinx tools? What kernel? What JVM?

Xilinx only officially supports RHEL but I know lots of people (including me) run it on other Linux flavours without any problems. I'd see what difference there are between your system and an out-of-the-box RedHat install, and go from there. (Tech support can probably tell you what the requirements are.)

Actually, I'd disagree. Certainly Coregen as of ISE 8.1i is a native application, with only small amounts of Java for legacy core GUIs. You're right about the other two though. But there is certainly no policy at work to increase the amount of Java used (if anything, the reverse is true).

Cheers,

-Ben-

Reply to
Ben Jones

Hi Ben,

Sorry for the lack of Infos :

- ISE Foundation 8.1 sp 3 - Chipscope 8.1.03 - PlanAhead 8.1.2

The JVM is each time provided with theses tools. It's the sun jre 1.5.0 but i'm not sure of the revision. I've tried with the latest sun jre as well with the same effects and blackdown jre is only 1.4.2 and doesn't work at all (normal, its not a

1.5)

tnt@ritsuko ~ $ uname -a Linux ritsuko 2.6.14-gentoo-r5-ritsuko #3 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan 1

22:48:38 CET 2006 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I don't know why but each time I try to open a webcase, I get a "Server Error" page at url :

with a small sun favicon.

Well, ok it may not be a policy. But it's still a fact ;) Indeed coregen has only some "ip customizer" but one of it is the v4 fx emac wrapper ;) And besides that, it works well. I can work with chipscope running on a remote machine using windows remote desktop and launching the cs_server.sh on my local machine. But for plan ahead it's a whole lot more annoying. And the weird thing is I never noticed that behavior in 7.1 ...

Regards,

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

Hi Sylvain,

Interesting. I guess you can run other Java apps without any problems, right? If this were Windows I'd probably diagnose that as some manifestation of DLL hell, but I don't usually have problems like that with Linux. Maybe there is a Java guru around somewhere who would know better...

Curious. I got a login prompt.

You're

work

Touché. :-)

Was that on the same gentoo system (i.e. did you just upgrade and now everything is borked)?

Looking at the answers database it appears that in 7.1i there were some problems with multi-threading in the Linux JNI that caused the GUIs to freeze during core generation (because the UI thread had to be disabled). This didn't actually cause anything to freeze indefinitely though (it would come back when the core had been generated). Perhaps it's somehow related to that? Hard to tell.

Cheers,

-Ben-

Reply to
Ben Jones

Hi -

Hmm.. Speaking for PlanAhead, this is a setup that we definitely do not test on. Not sure if I can help you, but answers to a couple of our questions may give us a clue:

  1. Are you running on a notebook?
  2. Does it hang consistently or semi-repeatably? If so, how? CPU remains idle or is it pegged?

BTW, can you download 8.1.5 at

and see if you still get this problem?

Thanks Salil Raje, Ph.D Software Development Director, PlanAhead Xilinx Inc.

DLL

is

true).

would

Salil Raje

No it's a workstation. Intel CPU dual core, 2Go of RAM.

It's not fully repeatable. I mean it always crash but not always at the same point but it happens quite fast. I think it's always related to a GUI action. I mean, if I don't do anything with it it will stay fine (i.e still refresh the window when another window passes over), but possibly at the next button click or action on a text field, it will just stop responding.

AFAIK, cpu is idle when it's freezed but I'll need to confirm that on monday.

I'll try that on monday.

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut