Soldering SMT/BGA

Toaster Oven,

and just until I get used to the process.

Its alot easier to have an assembly house with the correct tools to do it!

Reply to
Eli Hughes

I actually use a very fat soldering tip and regular solder. As long as things are aligned, it will go smoothly. Also, If you have solder bridges, dont worry, just wick off the extra solder. It's next to impossible to get all of the solder from under neath a pin, so its easy to clean up the solder bridges. Just run a toothpick across the pins to make sure they are soldered down.

This isn't probably the best process for a production run, but you can get prototypes working with little hassle.

-Eli

Reply to
Eli Hughes

Excellent post....thanks very much.

I get SO tired of seeing answers which don't even address the question that was asked; and instead give the sadly-typical "oh, you can't do that yourself...".

I've done qfp's, but never had a need to do BGA's; but am now expecting it to come up soon; so I appreciate you taking the time to give that detailed process-description.

metal

I'd second that :) That was an interesting post.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Stringer