Re: about slices in xilinx

are

> > decreased. > > > is this type of approach is correct? > > > or > > > 3) how can we say a area of architecture is decreased? > > > > 4)i am implementing project which is having the no.of slices in order=

of

> > hundreds. > > > where as the previous technique implemented have the no.of slices in =

order

> > of thousands from =A0this can we conclude that the area is decreased. > > > A LUT is a "look up table" and are how an FPGA implements > > combinatorial logic. =A0For all practical purposes it is a block of > > memory with the logic inputs used as the address and the data output > > used as the logic output. =A0The memory contents defines that logic > > function implemented. =A0Is that what you are asking? > > > For a long time all LUTs in Xilinx parts had four inputs although they > > did some funky things with multiplexers to allow two or even four of > > the four input LUTS to be combined into five and even six input LUTS. > > In some of the newer parts in the high end logic families they provide > > six input LUTS. =A0This is partly because the parts are getting so larg=
> that, like the CPUs in PCs they are having trouble finding ways to use > > the larger number of transistors. =A0So they are making the LUTs > > larger. > > > A slice is just a grouping of LUTs and FFs and some connective > > structure into the repeated unit of the FPGA. =A0The number of LUTs and > > FFs vary with family. =A0Originally LUTs had two LUTs and two FFs. > > According to the manual "Each Virtex-6 FPGA slice contains four LUTs > > and eight flip-flops", but they also use the term "Logic Cells" which > > is not a countable entity in a part, it is a marketing number like > > "gates". > > > Using the number of slices used is not a good metric for the size of a > > design because if one LUT is used, the slice is counted as used. > > Better to count the number of LUTs and FF used. =A0You can have 100% > > slice utilization and still fit more into a chip. =A0But when 100% of > > the LUTs and FFs are used, you will be hard pressed to add anything to > > that design! > > > Rick > > The OP should thank you for doing their (class) homework for them. > > RK

Wow, I don't know homework can be done easily online today. The question is, does he remember anything afterward ? I think he does

Reply to
Mawa_fugo

Hmm. You could make him solve a (homework) excercise, to find out if he does?

Reply to
Marc Jet

are

of

order

Yeah, you may be right. But if test questions are asking about vague things like "slices" then he needs a new professor.

Rick

Reply to
rickman