Power plane assignments in a Xilinx PCI card

Hello ,

I was looking at someone else's ( 4 layer ) design and I noticed that they had the ground plane on layer two: ( I always have ground on LAYER 3 )

LAYER 1 = component LAYER 4 = solder side

Well , does the layer assignment matter ? ( in terms of noise or impedance ... )

Here is an idea. If ground is on layer two then the signals on layer 1 might be more isolated from noise in the power plane on layer 3, ( note: I have almost all signals routed on layer 1; layer 4 is almost bare )

Is that a real benefit ?

Would the ground plane have noise too ? I always think of the ground plane as being clean and the power plane as having the noise but perhaps this is a false notion ?

Also should the power and ground planes extend down into the PCI bus edge connector fingers ? Or is that a rather insignificant concern one way or the other.

Sincerely Dan

Reply to
Dan DeConinck

might

The problem is much more complicated than this. There is no such thing as "isolation". Keep that in mind. You could have a badly designed ground layer right below your signal layer and make a mess out of the whole thing. Also, operating frequencies and signal standards are important.

Think "return path" for every single signal. Try to visualize how current will be delivered to the chip in question. Then to the pin driving a trace. And from the pin to the. Which is a capacitor that needs to be charged --among other things. And then discharged. The return path is important. At high speeds power delivery to the chip can be (it is usually the goal) localized by means of small decoupling capacitors and inter-plane energy storage. At lower frequencies energy can be delivered from farther out.

Absolutely. "Ground" is a product of our imagination. Pick a spot. Call it your reference. I can pick a different one. Probably just as valid. Current flowing through a conductor will result in resistive and inductive effects. Capacitive effects are added when many conductors are in close proximity. This means that the "ground" layer will have different potentials at different point at different times. The ground layer can actually oscillate and resonate. Imagine 200 pins switching form low to high in unison in 1ns at the far end (w/respect to the power connector) of the board. Bad things can happen. This is why the SI community resorts to fancy simulation tools.

the

How would you get power into the board otherwise? Are you saying that you'd run a trace from the PCI edge connector's power/gnd pins into the power/ground planes? No. The planes need to go everywhere.

You might want to pickup a good high-speed design book (Howard Johnson's "High Speed Digital Design, a Handbook of Black Magic") and/or search the WWW for articles on the subject.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian

To send private email:
0_0_0_0_@pacbell.net
where
"0_0_0_0_"  =  "martineu"
Reply to
Martin Euredjian

I would add this one to Martin's recommendation. (I've read both.)

Matt

impedance

might

the