mails from Aman Mediratta

I was just wondering if also other peoples in this group get private mails from Aman Mediratta, asking for technical support with EDK, etc. For me it looks like he is mass-mailing his support-questions. Also a way to get support... I would call it "support-spam". (I tried to shortly explain him that there are newsgroups for this yesterday, just to get another mail today).

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Entner

"Thomas Entner" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4311c25c$0$27166$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader01.highway.telekom.at...

Me too ;-)

The road to wisdom is long and full of stones.

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

yep, me too.

Reply to
Jeff Cunningham

Thanks, I'll train my spam-filter ;-)

Thomas

"Falk Brunner" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Reply to
Thomas Entner

Thomas,

I was wondering about that.

I call it the "student surprise" issue.

The student suddenly realizes they have to do work, and then go about trying to find out how to get it done.

This is my standard reply:

"Aman,

Specifically, you need to join the university support forum:

This page is for university and school students, and their questions.

It is a separate and complete support system.

is a list of useful forums we sponsor, and newsgroups that might be helpful. Although it mentions comp.arch.fpga, I suspect you will get better help from one of the targeted forums (embedded processors looks appropriate).

The questions you are asking are all typical of systems archectecture. To architect a system, one has to balance all of the advatages and disadvantages of each architecture, and strike the balance that satisfies the requirements.

In fact, you should devote time, energy, and document the process of architecting the system for your advisors in your report or thesis. It is a valuable part of demonstrating that you can actually engineer something in the future. These things may be answered in part for you, but you will have to do the real work of assembling the alternatives (on paper) and evaluating the pros and cons, and then making the choices, and then doing the work.

You have some idea what is involved (ie DLL's), but you have not mapped out all the potential solutions. The forums may provide you with others who have DLLs, or have done what you want to do already.

In very general terms, if the solution can be directly mapped to the logic of the FPGA, that is always the simplest and most direct solution.

The 405PPC is useful when you don't have room for the logic (some runs slow, and can be mapped to the processor - in effect the reverse of C to gates, gates back to C). The "ultracontroller" is an IP core we provide which is very good for this, as you need no operating system, or bus structure, or in fact, anything at all to just run some C code and provide solutions for your problems.

Good luck,

Austin"

You have my permission to notify any student that there is a whol eother world of support out there, designed just for them, and then mark them as spam, and continue with your own work.

The nect generationn of Xilinx FPGA users is important to us for the future, but folks on this newsgroup are important to us RIGHT NOW for the designs they are doing.

Thanks for letting us all know we have a more creative than usual student out there...

Aust> I was just wondering if also other peoples in this group get private mails

Reply to
austin

Me too...

Reply to
Marco

And me too.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

I get these ALL the time. Often these newbies don't even know about usenet and news groups. I direct them to this page:

=================== Philip Freidin snipped-for-privacy@fpga-faq.org Host for

Philip Freidin

I got 2 on Jul-29 and another on Aug-11th. The last was 6 megabytes.

I didn't have time to be polite like Austin or Phillip.

I'm generally happy to receive email if it's related to something I've posted. The stuff I got from Aman looked like he wanted help with his homework. I have no idea why he picked me. I don't know anything about the topic or "forum for virtex 2 pro" that he harvested my address from. My guess it that he harvested my address from a "forum" that was gateway from this newsgroup.

There was no hint in his mail that he had read anything I had posted. (See sig below.)

I get especially pissed off when the subject says "urgent". (It's not urgent for me.) Doubley so when it comes from a free mail site so I can't contact his boss/sysadmin to give him a clue.

His email said "student of Electronics and Electrical Engg. Dept at Indian Institute Of Technology kharagpur". Anybody got a contact there who can sort this out? I suspect an instructor or TA gave bogus advice.

Hal Murray

Me too, I've had two or three in the last couple of weeks. Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Todd