Layer 2 (MAC) Research Project to Eliminate Routers

We are a startup company of 6 employees (2 full time) which is the exclusive licensee of the patented ideal optimum MAC protocol. Our prototype PCI based network interface card hardware design has been completed and we are looking for partners who can help with the simulation and design of an Altera Cyclone FPGA. Unfortunately, our R&D budget is running thin, so we must appeal to the FPGA community for help.

The goal of this research project is to complete a 100Mbps proof of concept system, so that we can attract significant investment. Initial target markets for the production level 1/10Gbps networks will be applied in HPC, wireless, and VoIP.

Conceptually, you can think of this technology as becoming the Linux of layer 2. Just as Linux has prevailed in unseating Windows at the OS layer, we will prevail in unseating Ethernet as well as all of the middle hardware that Ethernet requires for its shortcomings.

Qualified individuals will be awarded with stock options for their participation.

Reply to
Perfect Queue

Well if its the Linux of layer 2.. then you can't have an exclusive patent and you have to release source code :-)

It sounds an interesting idea. But the OSI model is there for a reason. Its a fairly generic thing and you might have difficulty calling it 802.x without it as its fairly well sprinkled around the spec.

But I have been designing Ethernet interfaces without any OSI model for years... I wonder what makes your any better?

If you want to contact me... let me know.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock