JAM and Xilinx/Altera CPLDs

We have two CPLDs on a board (Altera EPM7256A and Xilinx XCR3064XL) and would like to program them with a single tool. To complicate things further, the tool should work in Linux. The download cable we use is Xilinx Parallel Cable III, but if this is a real problem, it can be replaced by something else.

It seems there are no tools which would do this without some patching. I have been thinking of taking the Altera JAM player and patching it for the Xilinx cable. This should be quite straightforward, as only a few things need to be changed in the jamstub.c. (BTW, has anybody any experience on compiling the JAM player with gcc?)

Then the workflow would be:

- Altera: Quartus II Web Edition -> .jam -> JAM player

- Xilinx: ISE WebPack iMpact -> .jam -> JAM player

The big question, however, is: does it work? I have no doubt about the Altera path, as JAM is invented by Altera. But what about the Xilinx JAM compatibility. iMpact seems to be able to produce either .svf or .jam files, but does either of these work reliably (svf throuth svf2jam) with the JAM player?

On the Xilinx site I found something on the need of patching the JAM player. Is this enough, or is there still something else?

TIA,

- Ville

--
Ville Voipio, Dr.Tech., M.Sc. (EE)
Reply to

I tried finding the sourceforge version, but could not. Do you have a more precise pointer?

I think I forgot to mention that the software should work in Cygwin, as well. So, the PPI requires some thinking. My first idea is to take the PPI driver from avrdude, where it is able to handle both Cygwin and Linux.

This is exactly what I was afraid of.

Xilinx site does carry a patch, so maybe I'll try it first.

I'll need to check.

Thanks!

- Ville

--
Ville Voipio, Dr.Tech., M.Sc. (EE)
Reply to

there is JAM for linux version at sourceforge compiling JAM is pretty easy, modifying for new hardware also

patching: we had big big big problems programming Xilinx devices with JAM player anyway we tried the output files from iMpact just didnt work, not directly not via SVF2JAM I got some patch to fix some issues in JAM player, and I think wrote an utility to fix something in either SVF or JAM so got some thing to work.

this info may be outdated I have not checked it with latest iMpact version maybe the compatibilty is better now

antti xilinx.openchip.org

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Are you sure that the free version of Quartus will output .jam files ?? I thought you had to pay for the full version to anything other than program directly from the IDE ??

Reply to
Andre

No, I am not sure. I did not even come to think of an alternative that evil. By looking at the Altera site they do not mention anything about this. This feature is not on the list of "if you pay more, you'll get these", but that does not necessarily mean anything.

Possible. Let's see... Anyway, if this is the case, the CPLD on our next design does not start with an "A". Not giving out the software for free is one thing. Not telling the extent of the lobotomy of the "free" version is another.

- Ville

--
Ville Voipio, Dr.Tech., M.Sc. (EE)
Reply to

Yes the Quartus II Web Edition does output jam files. The way do so is to Open the Quartus Programmer, load the pof/sof file and Use the File Create/Update dialog.

- Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Thank you very much! Very good. (Still, I'd like to suggest that the differences between the Web edition and The Real Thing were stated very clearly on the web page.)

BTW, do Altera have any plans of making Linux-compatible programmin sw? At least in our case we'd like to keep Windoze far away from the production line.

- Ville

--
Ville Voipio, Dr.Tech., M.Sc. (EE)
Reply to

The free Quartus II Web Edition software does output .jam files. You enable this by selecting Assignments -> Device -> Device and pin options -> programming files tab.

Rob Kruger Altera

Reply to
Rob Kruger

Hmmm, I'm sure I tried that but the check boxes were always grayed out ??

I even tried to manually edited the project file to enable the missing programming file formats, but never managed to generate a .jam or .jbc file.

Reply to
Andre