ISE webpack doesnt support Spartan xcs10, solution??

Hiya,

Foolishly I developed a board for a spartan 3 xcs10, without finding suitable development enviroment, assuming that the free ISE Webpack would be suitable - just found out now i've gone to fire my board up and program it that I can't...

Can anyone suggest a free solution to this? I'm a newbie and would like to use VHDL on this board, Ive built a JTAG cable to use with the parrallel port that is to Xilinx specification.

Yours gratefully

Dave

Reply to
googlinggoogler

Might help if you give us all the full part number. If you are using XC3S1000 or XC3S100E then you should have support. Support list here

for the latest version of webpack. If you have an old version then these will not be supported.

If you are having problems actually at the JTAG programming stage and have actually synthesised , mapped, p&r ok then more likely you have a problem with your cable implementation or your design implementation.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

Dave,

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com schrieb:

The smallest Spartan 3 available that I know of is a xc3s50 and that one is supported with Webpack. From your part description it sounds like you are using a Spartan.

Xilinx has a tool called ISE Classic, you find it here:

That one still supports the Spartan, however, at that time the Synthesis tool came from a different Company and is not part of that package. So unlike with the current Webpack that you download and do the whole implementation process, with the ISE Classic you need an extra Sythesis tool that supports the Spartan.

Regards,

Guenter

Reply to
Guenter

Ohh yea, I really really want to use VHDL.

could I use hdlmaker? what do I need to produce from my VHDL? and then I suppose I could just use impact from the ISE webpack?

cheers for your help, im a complete newbie,

Dave

Reply to
googlinggoogler

Yea sorry for not giving the part no. its XCS10-3PC84C.

(at least i'll of made it correctly becuase I followed that datasheet!)

I'll investigate the ISE classic,

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
googlinggoogler

Newbie or not, I'd recommend staying away from HDLmaker for VHDL.

The author, Josh Rosen, really prefers Verilog, and the VHDL support in HDLmaker is very weak and actually broken in several areas. I've tried to incorporate it into my VHDL projects, even to the point of writing wrapper programs to work around some of the flaws, but lately I've given up on it and gone back to working in straight VHDL.

AFAIK, the Webpack only supports Spartan 3 devices up to XC3S400, so if you're using the XC3S1000, you're out of luck.

-- Dave Tweed

Reply to
David Tweed

You can probably find an older version of webpack that still supports xcs10.

Reply to
Pedro