How to handle different proccessing speeds?

Hello,

I am a newbie in VHDL and have not much experience with FPGA implementation. To change that I am doing a self-study project that includes implementing some signal processing functions in VHDL and putting it on a Spartan II.

To start simple I am working on a cyclic prefix function. Input to the function are 512 samples from an IFFT and the function adds 32 samples to the 512 samples. So my problem is now that I have 512 samples coming in and 512+32 samples going out. The output is supposed to go to a DAC, so that sampling rate will be constant. What makes this a bit more complicated is that the prefix adding can be disabled. So if enabled it outputs 512+32 samples and disabled only the 512 samples.

I was thinking about two different ways of doing that. One is to adjust the processing rate of the IFFT and the input frequency of the cyclic prefix block and keep the output frequency constant for the DAC. This would lead to a quite crooked frequencies for the IFFT and I have no experience whether that is actually feasible.

The other idea is to have the IFFT deliver the 512 samples and then stop its processing for 32 samples.

Is my first thought about the different clock frequencies actually feasible?

Can anybody give me some thoughts about what is a common way of handling different processing speeds with FPGA implementations?

The second thought seems more intuitive? Is that the way of doing things or is there a better way?

Thanks for the help.

Guenter

p.s.: I am waiting on a FPGA book in the mail that hopefully helps me beef up my knowledge in that field. For the time being I was just eager to go on with my design and hear some expert opinions.

Reply to
Guenter Dannoritzer

Hi, I am a kind of newbie too. But this much I know. IF ever u need to interface two different clock domains u use an asnchronous FIFO. Now consider a deep enough FIFO for ur application. Let whatever be written in, it can be read out at different clock rate. Again I'm a newbie and there can be better suggestions.

feasible?

Reply to
john

Hi John,

john wrote:

[snip]

Thanks for that pointer, I found some code and will study it.

Guenter

Reply to
Guenter Dannoritzer