Functional Languages in Hardware

Are there any functional languages that can be compiled to hardware at the same or greater level of abstraction than languages like Mitrion-C and Handel-C. Is it all research or is there anything that is practical?

Reply to
shidan

shidan schrieb:

Hi shidan, You can use Matlab. but it is mostly limited to DSP Design and only available for XILINX FPGAs. Follow this link for more Information:

Also there are HDCaml and Confluence. And it seems they are open source.

have a nice synthesis Eilert

Reply to
backhus

Altera announced an HLL-C for their product line last spring, with HDL coupling. Mitrion-C, Celoxica and Impluse-C are all real production, hardly research.

Reply to
fpga_toys

You could take a look at Lava

which is a hardware description language based on Haskell.

Torben

Reply to
Torben Ægidius Mogensen

Torben =C6gidius Mogensen schrieb:

Lava was purchased buy Xilinx (and killed later).

Or is there still a way to get to the Lava downloads?

Antti

Reply to
Antti

There is also Catalytic-MCS which feeds straight into Catapult-C (output is RTL so can target any FPGA/ASIC).

Hans

Hans

Technically, this is Simulink - it's *very* low-level to use in most cases - you might as well be writing HDL in most cases - you#'re instatiating adders, registers etc.

Also, The Mathworks are doing their own simulink to FPGA product, which I presume would mean vendor independance... I have no idea how abstract this lets you get.

AccelDSP on the other hand works directly on M-files and gives you lots of feedback about how many bits you should put in each variable etc.

In my experience, these are also pretty low-level - again more like RTL (with generate on steroids).

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html

or MyHDL

or single-process VHDL

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

A friend of mine did SAFL:

Another awesome project! :-)

I predict that such things will become more widespread in the future with the advent of printed electronics, when spending millions on chip design is no longer economically viable. That'll happen in the next decade or so...

Objective CAML for Scientists
Jon Harrop