EBAY: XC2V1000-5FG456C

m,

That bit about not using them anymore is pretty suspicious. Clicking on other items you have for sale, it is odd that between nail guns and kayaks you just happen to have some FPGAs.

Austin

Reply to
austin

Austin, I guess you're new to eBay... Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Symon,

Not new, but perhaps skeptical. I know of people (friends, and friends of friends) who run complete businesses on eBay: but they typically specialize in something, and don't seem to be selling what got stolen yesterday. Sure, there are a lot of "garage sales" too. Odd to have a nail gun, a kayak, and $15K of FPGAs and EPROMS in your garage...but it could certainly be legitimate (they own this stuff, and are getting rid of it).

We are extremely concerned when our parts end up at a 'fire sale' as that affects our chain of control, and we automatically void any and all warranties (as these baggies could have holes allowing in moisture, or the parts may have had excessive heat applied to them).

Parts that have too much moisture will "popcorn" and destroy themselves when they get soldered to the pcb (I have seen this myself when parts were not baked after they were too long out of their packages...).

As I have mentioned before, we have seen: parts not Xilinx remarked with Xilinx part numbers and logos (you plug them in, they blow up); parts remarked to be a faster speed grade than they really are; parts that were stolen and resold; and parts that are a result of a company that has folded. Since companies know that reselling their inventory violates our conditions for sale, they just don't do that (unless they are going out of business and they don't care any more).

This is very serious, and it could affect our reputation, as if someone buys these parts, and uses them, and has a bad experience, they are unlikely to blame the seller, they will blame Xilinx.

Austin

Reply to
austin

Kayaks & FPGA's together on eBay is pretty normal, and acceptable

Advertising an eBay auction on USENET is very much NOT acceptable. I wouldn't buy anything from someone that does things like that.

Reply to
LittleAlex

Any contract manufacturer could have somebody leave a waffle pack of chips out over a steamy summer weekend when the factory AC is turned off, then come in on Monday and put them through the oven, too. Of course, they would be on the hook for their carelessness, but somebody might try to cover up their goof.

Yeah, I think I got a batch of those last year, never really figured out what the heck was going on, whether they were counterfeit or just mishandled. I can't afford this kind of stuff, but then I can't afford $100 chips that used to cost me $12, either!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Kayaks and FPGAs are not that uncommon.

What would stop me from bidding is that the person posted an eBay link on usenet.

Reply to
LittleAlex

I'd also be sceptical of someone with no feedback.

I've been stung twice on ebay, once with counterfeit razors, the second time with counterfeit Sony MDR-EX71 headphones.

Both times the copies looked _very_ good, but the razors were blunt as (insert favourite swear word starting with 'f'), the headphones fell apart after a weeks light use so I got my money back.

The headphones were a very good copy and didn't sound bad, it was only when I bought a real set through Amazon I could see the differences.

I've got 100% feedback so was wary about leaving negative feedback about these in case I got negative feedback in return :-(

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

...snip...

If this is so serious, why isn't it being investigated? The photo on eBay shows the disti who sold the parts along with a customer PO number. Certainly this is enough info to track down the original buyer so some polite questions can be asked. If, as you say, reselling is counter your purchase agreement, then you would have a valid reason to question the original purchaser.

Rick

Reply to
rickman