Dead FPGA?

Recently I assembled a board containing (among other things) a Spartan-IIE 300. Unfortunately, after I powered on the board I discovered that both the 1.8V and the 3.3V power rails were shorted to ground. After much head scrating, I realized that the FPGA (in the PQ208 package) was rotated 90 degrees... (sigh).

I removed the FPGA and re-installed it in the proper position. Now the 1.8V and the 3.3V rails are no longer shorted to ground, but the resistance between the two rails is only 4.4 ohms and the

1.8V rail is reading about 2.9V. The regulator put out 1.8V after I had removed the FPGA before putting it back on again the right way.

Is there any hope for this device, or should I just give up and replace it? Does this sound like a known failure mode if the power and ground pins on the device have previously been connected to the wrong potential? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Ewan

Reply to
milne

Replace the FPGA, and any other device that uses the 1.8V supply. The FPGA was obviously internally shorted between VCCINT (1.8V) and whichever pins were hooked up to the 3.3V supply (VCCO and/or VCCAUX).

Bob

Reply to
Bob