Creating Orcad symbol for FPGA with large pin counts

I am using Orcad version 9.2 to create orcad symbols. I am trying to follow a method described earlier in the same newsgroup. I am describing pointwise the steps am following:

1) I downloaded the pinout table from Xilnx website 2) I sort the pinout in excel based on bank number 3) I create a new part in a library in Orcad and place the number of pins I need using "place pin array" command 4) I select the pins whose name and pin number have to be changed and press "CTRL + E" and I get the browse spreadsheet editor in Orcad.

After that I am not able to do anything other than copy the contents of the Browse spreadsheet editor. To insert the pin names I select the coloumn "Name" and I press ctrl + insert, but nothing happens For instance after I select the "Name" coloumn to be replaced by the contents I am trying to paste, the commands like "paste" , "copy" among others just goes unusable(the letters on those commands goes grey from black). Actually the paste is not active at all irrespective of whether I select any coloumn or not.

Is this a version problem? I see Rotem Gazit had posted this message in 2001. Please let me know if you have experienced this difficulty before.

thanks Krishna Kumar DSP Systems Engineer Signalogic Inc

9617 dallas TX-75243
Reply to
KrishK

Krishna,

You have to organize the Xilinx spreadsheet such that the pin-name and pin-number are in the same colunm order as what's in the Orcad spreadsheet (what you see when you select the placed pins and do "properties".

Once you've done that, go to the Xilinx spreadsheet and select BOTH columns of cells (name and number). I select the data and don't select the whole columns (I'm not sure if this really matters). Once selected, do a CTRL C.

Now, go the Orcad spreadsheet. Select the cells of both columns (name and number) and do a SHIFT INSERT. Close the Orcad spreadsheet and you'll see the name and number's inserted into your symbol.

Good luck, Bob

Reply to
Bob