Bluetooth with FPGA?????

hi everybody,

I am in the last year of communications department, faculty of Engineering, and I need help for my graduation project.

The final stage is to interface the Spartan-3 to a USB Bluetooth dongle to support wireless voice and/or data communications modulated with DSSS (IS-95 CDMA).

I need to interface the USB dongle to the PS/2 port of Spartan-3 using a PS/2-to-USB converter.

I have tried to find data sheets and timing diagrams of a USB dongle in order to understand how it works but found nothing.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Reply to
aymmmm

Howdy,

For very standard interfaces, it is common to not find much useful timing or datasheet type information on a particular vendors device. You need to search for the USB specification. Google finds it.

Good luck,

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph

You will find is MUCH easier to use something other than USB - apart from the complexity in doing USB host, info is likely to be scarce on accessing the device. One of the many serial bluetooth OEM modules would be a LOT easier, and will be properly documented.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Sorry, it's not going to work. USB-to-PS/2B converters only support PS/2 keyboards, mice, and similar devices on USB hosts. They don't let PS/2 hosts talk to arbitrary USB devices such as Bluetooth dongles.

Reply to
Eric Smith

Hello,

I was looking at a similar issue recently.

The problem is that bluetooth dongles are SLAVE devices -- or in the USB terminology, simply USB devices. They are supposed to work under the control of a USB host (controller), which is ussualy a PC. The USB host has to perform USB bus enumeration and probably other complex tasks. This means your FPGA has to perform the tasks of a USB host ... (see USB Complete 3rd edition, Jan Axelson) Also note that the bluetooth dongle is supposed to be powered-up by the power lines (5V) available on the USB interface ...

Finally, the bluetooth protocol is quite complex and implementing the bluetooth stack is not trivial. You may want to take a look at

to get an idea.

There are USB controllers that implement the OTG (On The Go) supplement to USB. They allow devices to comunicate with other devices -- that is, allow devices to work as hosts. (see

Check the datasheets for Philips ISP1362, TransDimension TD242LP, Cypress CY7C67200EZ-OTG

My advice to you is to use a eb100-SER

module. It has the full bluetooth stack implemented in firmware with a serial profile available on power-up and they say 230kb/s bandwidth. You connect to this module over a serial UART (easy to implement in an FPGA). It's simple to use and it worked for me ...

:) According to me you face a nice project but a huge one most probably...

Good luck and hope this helps. Cristian

Reply to
Cristian CIRESSAN