Battle of the Vapours

OK, the next-generation parts at both application grades from both manufacturers are now announced. I've not been around for long enough to know how long to expect between announcement and availability at the hobbyist level; is Christmas 2005 for Cyclone II (announced today) dev boards reasonable?

It's nice to see reasonably serious levels of DSP appearing at the low-end parts, though I'm a little disappointed that we're not seeing seas of floating-point units in the high end, even in the Virtex 4SX; those can be so much smaller as macrocells than built out of logic.

What _is_ the business about "maximum toggle frequency 500MHz (for export control)" in the Spartan3 datasheet?

I was contemplating real-time fractal generators, and it's not clear that a 4+50 x 4+50 -> 4+50 fixed-point triple-precision multiplier built in a Spartan 3 would be price-competitive with small piles of PCs; rough summing of propagation delays suggest you can get three, with 10-15ns propagation, into an XC3S1000. Which is 200-300Mflops, and with small-volume costs and board-building charges I don't see I could get the price below the $100 required to compete on price/performance with Athlon64.

Whatever happens, these will be wonderful things to play with; many thanks to everybody involved in bringing on the Era of Programmable Hardware!

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Womack

There are restrictions on exporting (from the US) devices above a certain level of sophistication. And the government measures that as toggle rate. (The idea was to avoid helping the "evil empire" develop better missile guidance systems). The Cold War lives forever... Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

OK, I suppose that makes a certain degree of sense; I wonder slightly how the big microprocessor vendors get round that issue. There were those Apple adverts saying that their machine was by export-control standards a supercomputer, but I've seen plenty of dual-G5 boxes on my side of the Atlantic.

With my Dr Evil hat on, I wonder slightly how you set a maximum toggle frequency when the LUT propagation time is already down to 700ps or so

-- I wonder if it's a matter of refraining from heroic engineering efforts to keep parasitic capacitance down in the flip-flops, or a couple of lines in the depths of the hardware-compiler?

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Womack

Probably, as Altera mention Q2 2005 for samples of most devices.

Lattice also have a new family, with their prices quoted at 1K ( compared with the others of 18 months out, and asymptope volumes :) Lattice also say first samples in July 2004, (yes, next month, not next year...)

AMD has announced a lower cost MPU, still no word on Price/Bits, but it will be real well in advance of the vapor-FPGAs. Hard to imagine it not being 64bit, given the [marketing advantage/silicon cost] ratios...

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Well, the US does not consider the UK an "evil empire" (at least not since the war of 1815), so the export rules vary by country. Last I looked many years ago, Albania was at the bottom of the list...

Regarding max toggle rate, LUT and clock-to-Q are just one ingredient, routing is the bigger one. Present routing structures favor complex designs, but hurt very simple situations, like toggling flip-flops.

Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Tom, I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick. Xilinx make their parts go as fast as they want. They then have to publish an FTOG figure which the US government then uses to decide if the chips should be restricted, and if so, to which countries. Presumably you're British, so (according to the export rules!) not part of the 'axis of evil'. You'll get the parts OK, but don't build them into something you're planning on selling in North Korea. Or there'll be ....trouble... Cheers mate, Syms. p.s. Google for microprocessors "export restrictions"

Reply to
Symon

So are products containing Spartan 3 parts at 500 MHz toggle freq restricted? I have looked at several government web sites and not been able to determine what is restricted and what is not.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

The restrictions can be very strange. I was involved in a converstion about GSM cell phone manufacturing and repair once. Seems the encryption in the GSM phones was "export controlled" by the US. So the phones could be made outside the US and shipped in. But they could not be shipped back out for repair.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

The politicians, of course, have no idea what any of this means. I can picture them looking at the specs...: Toggle rates of 500MHz, yes, that's fast.....

3.3GBps - hmm, no 3.3 is less than 500, so that's OK 10Gbps - still OK, 10 is < 500 2.4 terabit - whoa, someone could build a tera-network using that!! :)
Reply to
Jim Granville

Jim,

You are absolutely correct: we must prevent tera.

There is a war on tera, right now!

Austin

PS: I've herad of 'two bit' networks, but tera-bit networks???

Jim Granville wrote:

Reply to
Austin Lesea