[Announce] Linux 2.6.20 on MicroBlaze now available

Hi folks,

Just a quick announcement that PetaLogix has released version 0.20 of our PetaLinux environment, which includes Linux kernel 2.6.20 support for MicroBlaze (2.4.31 kernel is also available and supported).

It's a free download from

along with pages and pages of documentation, getting started and tutorial guides.

Both the kernel and u-boot bootloader are automatically configured by our autoconfig BSP generation tools (included for free), so board bringup is a snap.

PetaLinux contains kernel, library and application sources, GCC tools, hardware reference designs, and tools to tie it all together. Basically everything you need to work with Linux on the MicroBlaze (except ISE and EDK of course!)

EDK 9.1 reference designs (both prebuilt and build yourself) are included for Xilinx ML401, and Spartan3E-500 and -1600 boards. PetaLinux comes with prebuilt binary demos for these boards in both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, so you can quickly try it out for yourself.

ISE and EDK versions 8.1 though 9.1 are supported. You need a Linux workstation to work most effectively with PetaLinux, although mixed Windows/Linux setups are possible.

Please use the long-running microblaze-uclinux list for feedback and discussion, bug reports and so on. See here for details:

Have fun!

John

Reply to
John Williams

Hi John,

That is a great news. Is PPC supported in Xilinx ML401 reference design?

Cheers,

Guru

Reply to
Guru

Seems unlikely, as the ML401 has a Virtex-4 LX chip on it, which does not have an embedded PowerPC block. That would be the FX family, available on the ML403 board.

Cheers,

-Ben-

Reply to
Ben Jones

I believe that Dr. Williams' work targets only the MicroBlaze. In which case the ML401 could be supported.

Stephen

Reply to
stephen.craven

do you plan to release a reference design for spartan 3A700 xilinx starter kit ?

Reply to
rponsard

I'm in discussion with Xilinx to get hold of some of the S3A boards, with a view to their support in PetaLinux.

I'm not familiar withthe specifics of this board, but if it has a couple of meg of DRAM and some parallel flash, we can get Linux going on it.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams