which universal programmer?

Im need a low cost universal device programmer. Its for hobby use so Im looking for a low cost one. I would like to be able to program these specific devices at a minimum: GAL22V10,

27/28/29C256, 89C51, 24C256. The Xeltek Superpro-Z, BK Precision Model 848 or EETools Chipmax all look like good choices for me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which is better or worse? Any software problems or device compatability problems?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I asked the same thing a few weeks ago looking for something a bit more up market.

I ended up with a Xeltek SuperPro 3000U and I am moderately impressed with it so far.

Xeltek appears to be a Chinese company (although they say founded in Sunnyvale).

The documentation is OK, a bit sparse with the occasional hint of Chinese translation.

The driver software is functional, polished in some ways yet slightly klunky in others (the main menu for program/erase etc has fancy buttons which highlight when you mouse over them, but, have no hotkeys associated so the most fundamental operations are impossible without a mouse). The software runs in demo mode if you have no programmer so maybe the /z is the same and you could download and look at it.

When you select a device which needs a socket adapter it tells you their part number and pops up a window which lists the required pins connections so you can make one yourself. Nice touch instead of encouraging (or forcing) you to buy their adapter. I get the impression Xeltek really do want you to get the most bang for your buck.

The software has been updated every 2-3 days since I got it, nothing to tell you what changed other than a growing device list. The Superpro/z software on the Chinese web site

is dated 9/28/04.

It programmed a selection of devices I use and a selection from my junk box without trouble.

The hardware design is impressive from a performance at low cost perspective. Build quality is a bit average, there is some pretty ropey SMT rework on my example.

One dubious thing is there is no anti-static earth connection. The thing is in a plastic case, the only ground connection is through the USB port and it can run without that in which case it is just floating on the leakage from it's inline switching mains power supply. I added an external earthling point which is why (along with inquisitiveness) I got to see inside the box.

Hope that gives you a bit more feel about Xeltek. Can't help with the other manufacturers they were not on my list.

Reply to
nospam

Try here:

Dave :)